Doing the big 3 wire upgrade on my car

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
That's a good idea.. Adding another wire from alt to battery I never thought of that thanks man!!

Lol it is part of the big three.

1. Alternate to battery +
2. Battery - to chassis
3. Engine to chassis.

I always do more...more is better

guytv

Reaction score
How much should the scrap wires cost? I just need a price point to compare it to.:waytogo:

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Ask them what they want for 4gauge. Scrap should be less than half that.

4gauge should be 1-1.5 dollars a foot

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Not sure only because I have the 4 banger. But when you look at your alternator you will see a post terminal with a ring lug and a wire on it. Usually factory wiring is 8 or 6 gauge. There is no ground on the alternator as the case is the ground following the path through the engine block.

If you don't see a wire on a post terminal than you are on the wrong bolt. You can also follow the wire from the alternator fuse directly to the location. But you won't miss it. It's usually covered with a rubber boot to protect it from shorting to ground.

Where did you end up getting some wire and for how much?

Last edited:

guytv

Reaction score
Not sure only because I have the 4 banger. But when you look at your alternator you will see a post terminal with a ring lug and a wire on it. Usually factory wiring is 8 or 6 gauge. There is no ground on the alternator as the case is the ground following the path through the engine block.

If you don't see a wire on a post terminal than you are on the wrong bolt. You can also follow the wire from the alternator fuse directly to the location. But you won't miss it. It's usually covered with a rubber boot to protect it from shorting to ground.

Where did you end up getting some wire and for how much?

Thanks :waytogo: just had to make sure it was the right place. But yeah I got it online at knukonceptz. It was 4 gauge ofc power/ground wire for $1.49 per foot. I got 7 foot which totaled around $10. Not a bad deal:)

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
7 feet seems like enough to do the big 1 lol.

If you want to pay for a small flat rate shipping box I have a few 3-4 foot 4 gauge wires I can send your way for ground straps.

guytv

Reaction score
7 feet seems like enough to do the big 1 lol.

If you want to pay for a small flat rate shipping box I have a few 3-4 foot 4 gauge wires I can send your way for ground straps.

Haha I actually have enough. I am going to be rerouting the alternator charging wire instead of taking the original path. I only need 4 ft to go to the alternator positive to battery positive. Since I am going from the front of the car where the radiator is located I only need 4 ft. So, I have and extra 3 ft for the ground which is good enough for chassis to engine, transmission to chassis, and battery negative to chassis.:waytogo: But Thanks for that offer. Really appreciate it.:) But if I need anymore I'll contact you.

Back