3 wire to 2 wire IACV help?

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Ok so I have an H23a VTEC engine in my car. It has the 3 pin IACV, and I ordered a Skunk2 intake manifold which is designed for the 2 pin IAC. The manifold is taking forever to get here and I haven't been able to drive the Accord in months.
My question is, would I be able to modify the 3 pin IACV to work with the OBD1 p13 ecu? Everything I find by searching says to get a 2 pin IAC and 2 pin pigtail. I found some adapter plates, so that got me thinking.. Shouldn't it work if I keep the 3 pin IAC, make my own adapter, disconnect the resistance wire from the pigtail, then repin the other 2 wires accordingly?
This isn't going to be permanent, I just need to get the car on the road again. Is this actually something common for people to do? In my head, it seems like it should work fine. I just don't want to accientally create a bigger problem, so I'm coming to you guys for advice.

Please help! Thanks

Michael_accord

Reaction score
It will never work, as for the skunk2 manifold you need a usdm h22 iacv which is a 2 wire that bolts right to the skunk2 intake manifold on the back plus with your skunk 2 intake get ready to beat the firewall back a tad it wont fit if you don't.

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Aww man, I just keep getting bad news about my parts today... Well I'm going to avoid unneccessarily taking a hammer to any part of my car. Maybe I'll just find a stock euro R manifold and get it ported. Anybody know any trusted places where I can get one? I don't want to go to a website and have them just steal my money... And as for the Skunk2, I'll either try to get my money back since it wasn't shipped yet (as far as I know), or sell it and try getting most of my money back. This really could have been avoided with very little searching :sad:

Michael_accord

Reaction score
I feel your pain bro, but really beating the firewall back a bit wont hurt your car, its not like an excessive amount. I know someone that did it and ran the intake perfectly fine, what you do need to do here is buy a usdm h22 intake manifold with a 2 wire either the entire thing or the top plenum

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I decided to just go with getting an OBD1 plenum that has a 2 wire IACV. I wanted to switch to a Euro R manifold, but I'm saving up for a truck and can't afford any nice expensive upgrades for a while :(
Anyways, I know I'll need to remove one of the wires and repin 1 or 2 wires to make it work with my p13. Can anybody tell me exactly which wires to repin and which ones go where at the pigtail? I tried searching, but everything I find are for OBD2-OBD1 civics and integras. Are those writeups and diagrams the same for our Accords?

Michael_accord

Reaction score
Yeah bro, the p13 ecu is obd1 which means the pinouts are the same, what i'm going is running wires directly from my 2 wires all the way to my ecu. So im not sure what to tell u about repining. Although it is fairly easy just see where ur current iacv wires go then repin on of them accordingly and then the ground on should already be grounded. Idk how much of a help i am but its hard to explain lol -_-

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Yeah bro, the p13 ecu is obd1 which means the pinouts are the same, what i'm going is running wires directly from my 2 wires all the way to my ecu. So im not sure what to tell u about repining. Although it is fairly easy just see where ur current iacv wires go then repin on of them accordingly and then the ground on should already be grounded. Idk how much of a help i am but its hard to explain lol -_-

Yeah it seems like we're basically doing the same thing, except you're using whole new wires and I'm going to be reusing the wires on the harness. According to the Chilton books, it seems like I need to move the black/blue wire from B23 (original position) to the P13's A9 position. Then I disconnect the black wire and forget about it, connect black/blue to black/blue & yellow/black to yellow/black on the pigtail, then plug everything in and it should work. It seems a whole lot easier when I actually take the time to looks at the books!
Does this seem right to whoever already did this before? I should be able to do this within the next week and will update the results.

Michael_accord

Reaction score
I just did it, are u going to use the obd1 jumper harness? if not what i did was connect the black and blue to the black and blue wire from the 3 wire iacv...the other wire should be a ground wire.

Last edited:

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Yeah, I have an OBD2b-OBD1 jumper. I was doing more research and it seems I might not need to repin anything on the ECU connector, just cut the 3 wire IAC connector and wire up the 2 wire connector

Back