Frankenstein's engine choice. You decide

capsidx

Reaction score
I can get another H23a1 or the F20b auto version which will mate up fine to my ms24 manual trans. Only difference between the manual and auto f20b is 20 hp from cams and throttle body. So, H23a1 is a great motor but in my opinion the downfalls are the FRM sleeves. This motor pulled my car pretty hard through the gears. The f20b auto makes 180 hp and roughly just as much torque. I need to do a little rework to get the F20b in but its not much. My only issues are ECU and availability of parts. I cant really afford an H22 so thats out. So what do you guys think. F20b or H23a1. If you have solutions to the F20bs problems let me know. I want to hear your thoughts as I am picking up the motor early tomorrow morning. FYI the F20b is 50 bucks cheaper than the H23 lol.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I can get another H23a1 or the F20b auto version which will mate up fine to my ms24 manual trans. Only difference between the manual and auto f20b is 20 hp from cams and throttle body. So, H23a1 is a great motor but in my opinion the downfalls are the FRM sleeves. This motor pulled my car pretty hard through the gears. The f20b auto makes 180 hp and roughly just as much torque. I need to do a little rework to get the F20b in but its not much. My only issues are ECU and availability of parts. I cant really afford an H22 so thats out. So what do you guys think. F20b or H23a1. If you have solutions to the F20bs problems let me know. I want to hear your thoughts as I am picking up the motor early tomorrow morning. FYI the F20b is 50 bucks cheaper than the H23 lol.

I don't know. The H23 will drop in, and you don't need to mod anything. But the cylinder wall materials are your main sticking point against it.
How much difference is there externally between the H23 and the F23?

capsidx

Reaction score
I don't know. The H23 will drop in, and you don't need to mod anything. But the cylinder wall materials are your main sticking point against it.
How much difference is there externally between the H23 and the F23?

Well the H23 is basically a DOHC F23. Everything externally i've found is identical as pretty much everything bolts right. Well accessories that is. I know the exhaust manifold on the H is wider than the F, probably because Dohc vs Sohc. It will drop right in but I want to take the time now to do this right. I want power and the option to add more later. I also want a motor I can beat on and wont explode like the H did but that could have been my own fault for doing xxx mph up a steep hill (closed course obviously :rotflmao:). But I know all these motors have a track record for being reliable as hell.

In my experience and many others for that matter, the H23a1 is notorious for leaking. The oil cooler ring in the back is know to blow out and you lose all your oil quickly. The front balance shaft popping was never an issue for me because I had the recall retainer but still, after changing all those seals it still leaked. I dont know if this new H will leak or not. Its really gamble but they are notorious for it and we all know how much a pain in the as a leaking motor is, especially when you replace all the seals and it keeps leaking.

datechboss101

Reaction score
Caps, how about trying an H22 engine? If not, why not go all out with a J30 or J35 swap... wouldn't be that hard, as you have proven us all that you can DIY an engine swap, tranny swap, and whatnot.

Accordx

Reaction score
Caps, how about trying an H22 engine? If not, why not go all out with a J30 or J35 swap... wouldn't be that hard, as you have proven us all that you can DIY an engine swap, tranny swap, and whatnot.

Yeah agreed, I know they're a little more of a mainstream swap compared to an h23 or f20 but I think you may be better off

capsidx

Reaction score
Because I can’t afford an h22 lol they’re 1000 + dollars. If they weren’t I’d do it but my ceiling is like 600 so it’s either f20b or h23

Accordx

Reaction score
Because I can’t afford an h22 lol they’re 1000 + dollars. If they weren’t I’d do it but my ceiling is like 600 so it’s either f20b or h23

Ah, fair enough. I think I'd try my luck with the f20b then personally but you wouldn't have to do as much to fit an h23... I guess whatever you think you'll be happier with :shrug:

capsidx

Reaction score
No thanks on the hybrid lol I think I’d rather go with a stock motor to start as hybrids can prove to be unreliable. Also I don’t have a usuable engine to combine with the new one anyway, the h23 that’s in it now is trashed. Block and head but at least the alternator is still good lol

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get the F20B, swap over your cams and throttle body or visit Rosko Racing for ideas. All 3 are essentially the same

Back