How can we lower the risk of being rear ended?

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
I've seen many accidents lately. In fact, I witnessed a crash which it happened two lanes next to me on a freeway yesterday.

Now that I know our member (Darianjr1) got rear ended recently, it made me want to create this thread for us to discuss how we can lower the risk of being rear ended.

What really sucks is that, depending on the impact, your precious ride gets taken away (totaled) after all of the hard work & time you have applied to this date.

Although there will be some money coming back in your wallet in the end, us being a car enthusiast, "money is money & car is car" is a very difficult statement for us to fully accept.

---------------
What can we do to prevent this from happening? Would there be any ideas of not letting it be totaled at least?
---------------

I'm sure it is almost inevitable to avoid such a thing, but I believe it wouldn't hurt us to discuss if there is a tiny bit of a chance to lower the risk. Thus, any thoughts will be appreciated. However, no joking please. Let's keep this as serious as possible, because this is all for our sake.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Re: How can we avoid ourselves from being rear ended?

1. Leave at least a car and a half distance between yourself and the car ahead so that you can move up if need be, or get out of the way.

2. Use your mirrors. Being aware of what is happening around you is key, so that the potential to take evasive action is increased.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Use public transportation

- You can't avoid accidents. That's why they're called accidents. Labeling this as "How to avoid being rear ended" is dumb. That's like telling people "How not to die"...

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score

^lol, valid point point. I took it as how to be a more alert driver.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Weird, I almost got rear ended last night. I was on a small two lane road in a residential area doing the speed limit, and saw those giant metal plates left on roads by "construction" crews. I slowed down (not braking very hard since I was going the limit) since there was no “asphalt ramp” to make the transition smoother. And what looked like a previous gen Camry slammed on his brakes behind me, I saw the front end of his car bear down hard and heard a decent amount of tire squeal. I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

It's really up to the driver behind you. But...it can help if you always be conscious of your surroundings. For example, whenever I'm driving on a road or coming to a stop, I check my blind spots to see if there is space to get over in case someone coming up behind me doesn't appear to be stopping.

Also, as above, leaving room in front of you so you can scoot up if need be is a good suggestion.

If you drive stick, when you’re stopped press the brake pedal even if you’re on flat ground so people see your brake lights on.

Narftastic

Reaction score

I always look in my rear view mirror to check what's going on behind me.

du3ce

Reaction score

you cant it just happens just like everytime you take your car on the road

Emphasis

Reaction score

It was already said, but I'll reiterate it. Be alert and use your mirrors often.

In my experience it seems most people forget they have a rear view mirror.

JetLife

Reaction score

agree with all statements above, however checking ur mirrors often is very important.

My cousin and I were rear ended turning into my neighborhood last year. His 05 accord v6 ex-L was totaled. Some things youi can't control such as the weather also, the vision of old people...

kn0x47

Reaction score

Add an extra tank for oil then create a port in your motor so that oil can be burned off through your exhaust system. No one wants to stay behind a stinky car

Back