How can we lower the risk of being rear ended?

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Re: How can we avoid ourselves from being rear ended?

I was almost rear ended the other day as well. A huge F-250 slammed on their brakes, it was close too. All I could see was their lights, nothing else. Scared me to death, especially since I was rear ended by a slowbalt before. Dented their hood, I got a scratch.

My suggestions are to just leave a bit of room between the car you are behind, just incase. Other than checking your mirrors and blind spots, its almost impossible to prevent an accident. The problem isnt you on the road, its all the other idiots out there. Thats what I was always told. Defensive Driving

My sincerest apologies go out to Darian for the loss. Just thankful no one was injured

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Re: How can we lower the risk from being rear ended?

Thank you for the comments guys. I really appreciate it.

It creeps me out when I hear from you guys that it is ("almost"--thank god..)happening to some of you like catching a common cold.

It seems like there are some ways to lower the risk. Staying alert to the rear view seems to be the major one. Keeping a distance infront of you was also good one, because you can lower the chance of hitting the car infront of you.←(less damage=less chance being totaled).

How about letting others behind you recognize your existence. Such as:

-Always turn your blinkers on at a signal, when waiting for a turn.
-Have a brighter tail / break lights to LEDs (annoying as hell to some ppl, but)
-Having break lights blink when you see a car comming from a distance
-Modding tail lights to strobe←(could be illegal but) / automatically blinks once or twice, when you step on the break←(some motorcycle tail lights do that).

Last edited:

truWarier02

Reaction score

I hate how people ride my back when I'm cruising to a stop at a red light.

The other night, I just pulled out of my relative's driveway and onto the street and I'm doing about 30 in a residential street. This fucker in a lifted truck behind me decides to use the oncoming lane to cut me off, and his fuckbuddy that was in a Taurus bucket behind him followed suit. On top of that, there was a traffic light ahead of us and these dumba$ses just ran the red light. I really wished there was oncoming traffic at the time and if I sped up a bit as to not let them in, it would've made my day :lawl:

/endrant

Oh, and I hate when people pull out of a driveway or turn right onto a street before me and I have to brake for their asses because they couldn't wait to pull out until after I had passed. Funny thing is, this happens when there's no cars behind me so they could've just waited until I'd passed.

Last edited:

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^That's one of the ways. I always have a drive-safe charm in my car.

001Stunna

Reaction score
How to avoid being rear ended?
Brake moderately well ahead of time, causing the fool behind you to also brake well ahead of time...hence meaning both you and him will be at relatively slow speeds before coming to a complete stop and avoiding the chance of him hitting you or slamming into you in wet conditions.

If you're stopped already and no-one behind you yet then just leave ample room for you to move forward if you see someone coming at high speed behind you. Unless they want to hit you then chances are they will slam the brakes on (maybe last second) hoping to stop before hitting you. By giving them another half cars length or so extra then they thought they had would mean they will stop before hitting you.

Ratchet

Reaction score

It creeps me out when I hear from you guys that it is ("almost"--thank god..)happening to some of you like catching a common cold.

You said it right. It is really common wherever you go. No matter how cautious you are, you have no control over the driver around you.

I myself got rear ended last month. Nothing serious, just two dimples on my bumper from the other car's plate holder.

Thinking of buying a 320mm broadway wide rear view mirror.
All the posts here are so helpful. thanks.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
I got rear ended because the person infront of me was turning and I had stopped, put it in first and had my foot on the clutch and not on the brake. The asshole was speeding nd not paying attention while it was raining..

My solution.. missiles out of my blast pipe

Back