Spacer versus lug stud limit?

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out the limit of how much spacer I can use before I have to replace the lug studs with something longer. I want to add a 10mm spacer to the rear of my sedan, but I haven't found anything on if I can go that thick. On my Toyota, I had to replace the studs (to run the same wheels) with those from a Toyota truck, as they're about 15 to 18mm longer (correct thread though).
What I'm trying to do, is move the rear tires out a little, as I don't really care for the slightly tucked look. I'd prefer to flush it up, or get a very slight poke. Keep in mind I'm not lowered and don't plan on lowering the car.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anything past a 5mm with a spacer I'd get longer studs for. It's just good insurance to make sure your lug nuts are fully seated.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Anything past a 5mm with a spacer I'd get longer studs for. It's just good insurance to make sure your lug nuts are fully seated.
OK. Any idea on what studs to use that are about 15mm longer than stock? Or am I looking at having to with something from ARP?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Or H&R. I ran some 5mm spacers from them for a couple years. Last I checked they also sell spacer+stud kits.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Or H&R. I ran some 5mm spacers from them for a couple years. Last I checked they also sell spacer+stud kits.

I"m not apposed to changing out the studs, as it's no big deal to me. I definitely don"t want to run a bolt on spacer, as it'll be too thick. Are you guys trying to tell me Honda doesn't make/offer a longer thread stud? Can I use something else> Or am I locked into running an ARP lug stud?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never known honda to have longer studs in anything factory. Different sizes (dia) yes, length...no

nathan007

Reaction score
IMO, anything over 5mm requires longer studs. H&R makes really good kits but are expensive.

Note; if you do purchase longer studs, big chances they will ONLY be compatible with OE wheel hub assemblies or NTN hub assemblies. I know for sure MOOG and MEVOTECH will not fit those studs (loose fit which requires welding of stud; they seem to use their own generic studs knurl diameter which in my experience is always causes loose fit)

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
IMO, anything over 5mm requires longer studs. H&R makes really good kits but are expensive.

Note; if you do purchase longer studs, big chances they will ONLY be compatible with OE wheel hub assemblies or NTN hub assemblies. I know for sure MOOG and MEVOTECH will not fit those studs (loose fit which requires welding of stud; they seem to use their own generic studs knurl diameter which in my experience is always causes loose fit)

Ok, so from the sounds of things, Only ARP or H&R offer a longer stud for our cars. Damn. I was hoping that I could find a longer stud from someone like NAPA using a Honda application part. For my Toyota, it wasn't a big deal, and they even had them in stock, as I just used a Toyota truck stud, that had the same M12-1.5 thread. Why does this car have to be so complicated. You'd think with all the different models, and tire and wheel combinations used on Hondas over the years, there would be something available.:banghead:
5mm isn't going to do what I want either, as I want to run a 10mm spacer on each side. I am running OE hub assemblies too (no aftermarket stuff).

Back