Maaco paint job, yay or nay?

bagoon316

Reaction score
i had a buddy get a good job from maaco, he did all the prep though, and taped it himself. he also found out who was painting it, and tipped him beforehand or something.

somehow he got a good a paintjob, so i dunno. like others have said, its hit/miss.

honda_dude

Reaction score
do all the prep work yourself and you will get decent results, otherwise they just spray over the old paint, regardless of condition.

so u mean prep as in sanding down all the clear coat, and some of the old paint and spray primmer?

Has anyone in here gotten their 6gen painted by maaco??

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
hell no, there a reason i and many others refer to a f'd up job to a macco job

usally tha
(not always) half *** painters/body men tha work there have been fired from ever shop in town

id nvr in my life even consider

djmerkone

Reaction score
Maaco will not put quality body work or anything. If you want your car painted by them, make sure its flawless first. Otherwise, its going to show all the flaws after a month. Especially on darker colors. If you have to think twice... dont bother. Take it to a reputable shop and talk with them. Thats your best bet.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
If you want a decent paint job or one to last more than 1 year without fading, just prep everything yourself. That means bondo, sand, primer, sand, wet sand and bring it to a reputable shop and have them spray, sand, and buff it for about $400-600. Other than that, just take it to a body shop and have them do it for you, I never trusted commercial shops.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I guess it depends on which Maaco you take it to. Overall, Maaco's paint jobs are sub par. However, I know a few people who have had decent experiences with them. I also know other people who have had massive bubble in their paint when they got it back (Luckily, Maaco paid to fix it for them at another shop lol). I guess if you don't intend to keep the car long or could care less if you have cherry paint then go for it. Maaco is notorious for using subpar materials and leaving necessary steps out of the process, like wet sanding.

This is true. Let me translate it a little bit differently though. Basically, even if you can find a good Maaco, they use poor quality materials and you paint will not last.

You basically have to prep your own car, bring your own paint, and it's still a gamble if you want something that will hold up. You basically are just a step away from renting a booth and hiring a painter.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
You get what you pay for. If you were painting to sell, I don't see a problem. Painting in hopes of something nice and to keep.. hell no

Back