F&F Adjustment question

KO iNfAmOuS

Reaction score
This is not the usual stupid question everyone asks about how you adjust coils lol, so dont worry.

My question...When adjusting coils, the amount you twist the gold threaded portion into the bottom red body, is that the amount the car is lowered?

I.E. For every inch of threaded portion spun into body, is car lowered one inch?

In the end, my question is does anyone know an approximate ratio?

Reason why I ask. I need to lower just the front of my car, and also, I have noticed my front passengers side is slightly higher (dont know why), and I do not want to continuously put wheels back on and lower then raise again and take wheels off, etc., etc...and i understand I can measure distance from bottom of spring perch to lowest ring and make both fronts even, but I have an exact 1/4" that I want to lower the car, and just want to throw it out there to see if anyone ever looked into the exact ratio of the adjustments.

truWarier02

Reaction score
I just measure how much I need to lower it, loosen and raise the bottom collar up to however much that is, and twist the body until the bottom mount touches the collar and tighten it up.

And I also measure the visible threaded portion (above bottom collar to the bottom of the middle collar).

edit: Not sure if I'm answering your question. But just throwing it out there anyway.

Last edited:

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
i needed to adjust mine this weekend and i needed to adjust it a quarter of an inch on on side and i learned that a quarter of an inch on the threads isnt actually a quarter of an inch "f
ground to fender" i had to do about an inch on the thread to gain an inch ground to fender. hope thi helps you my friend :thumbsup:

001Stunna

Reaction score
OP, since on FF lowering/raising the car does not have any effect on preload or the spring itself then YES the amount you move the lower mount is by how much your car should go up/down(since all things remain constant and you're just changing the length of the shock).

One thing you should keep in mind though is that the car is balanced on 4 tires. So a change in one corner can cause a possible change in the other corners(hence why ppl corner balance their car)

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
really levin? maybe i just calculated wrong or maybe it just "felt" more than it was cause i turned quite a ways around to adjust for a quarter if an inch. i only measured ground to fender just eyed the threads

001Stunna

Reaction score
really levin? maybe i just calculated wrong or maybe it just "felt" more than it was cause i turned quite a ways around to adjust for a quarter if an inch. i only measured ground to fender just eyed the threads

Well i dont have FF and i'm only speaking out of simple logical sense the way i see it. Since the car will sit on the spring the same way no matter what the height of the damper is set at(unless you add more weight to that corner and make it compress more) as you NEVER touch the spring.

As i said though, its not always just one corner...you have to consider the fact that one corner being lower/would possible affect the height of other corners somewhat.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
yea absolutely. just like jacking your car up in the rear liwers the front and the same goes for the corners. in my example adjusting an inch lower on the right rear raised the left rear just a tad so when i went to lower the left rear i had to raise the right rear a little more again so it could b even. o went back and forth like that for awhile to get it perfect. so i guess it felt like more than a quarter of an inch on the threads to get my quarter inch difference feom ground to fender. sry for any spelling im on the iFail

KO iNfAmOuS

Reaction score
thanks guys. From the looks of it, because the one front corner is higher the whole passengers side is slightly higher, so if I were to lower the front right to the same height as the front left, the car would be level, and from there continue to lower both sides and all will still be even. but yes that does answer my question.

My first idea was to measure with ruler up one quarter inch from the bottom of the ring (so when I bring ring up I can raise it til lower red part hits mark) with a sharpie perhaps or a pencil then spin so that mark and then tighten ring. Does my logic seem right? lol

MoneyPit

Reaction score
There's pretty much no way to avoid pulling your wheels multiple times to get the exact height you need. The problem with some of these cheaper coilovers is that the spring sag is not 100% consistent for every spring, so even measuring your overall coilover length before installing isn't guaranteed to keep your ride height level from front to back and side-to-side.

Also, I preload my driver side coils more than my passenger to avoid sagging when I'm sitting in the car alone.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
OP yea do that. but still like money pit said. the spring rate on these arent always even and the driver side spring obviously are going to sag quicker or at least differently than the passengers. also this is simple but tire pressure as well afftects the stance too.

Back