Tein slammage

Topher88

Reaction score
I'm running some SS that just got re built with 12kg valveing along with 12kg springs and when I have it slammed with about 3/4 of an inch is thread to go down, when I'm driving, my shocks bottom out about every other small bump and on big bumps it's like my shocks are botining out so hard it hurts... So is that just the price for being low or am I missing something.... Does this happen to everyone?

Narftastic

Reaction score
I've heard tien coils are not that stiff, so that's probably why u keep bottoming out, unless ur slammed and there's less than a inch of Clarence from your frame to the ground.

001Stunna

Reaction score
I'm running some SS that just got re built with 12kg valveing along with 12kg springs and when I have it slammed with about 3/4 of an inch is thread to go down, when I'm driving, my shocks bottom out about every other small bump and on big bumps it's like my shocks are botining out so hard it hurts... So is that just the price for being low or am I missing something.... Does this happen to everyone?

You mentioned you got them rebuilt. Was the work/re-valving done by Tein? Are you running 12Front 12Rear springs?
Tein recommends leaving 1" of thread left over, and you mentioned leaving 3/4" so i'd say thats not a big issue. Were the 12k springs by any chance shorter then the original springs?

I've heard tien coils are not that stiff, so that's probably why u keep bottoming out, unless ur slammed and there's less than a inch of Clarence from your frame to the ground.
I have the SS in their stock 7/4 rates and have only bottom out 3-4 times since i got them. If the op really upgraded them to 12k rate springs i would think they would be a lot stiffer(same as FFs).

Last edited:

JordanFleenor

Reaction score
Are you sure it is bottoming out or the control arm hitting your strut tower?
They happens to me every 5 seconds. Only one way around that but I just deal with it.

I'm not sure but I would think that if you have stiff springs then they hit as much. please someone correct me if im wrong. i would sort of like to know.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Chris, I'm pretty sure it's the control arm issue. Mine does the same thing but I have a mental picture on what roads or lanes to avoid around my area to reduce the hitting.

Topher88

Reaction score
Chris, I'm pretty sure it's the control arm issue. Mine does the same thing but I have a mental picture on what roads or lanes to avoid around my area to reduce the hitting.

Hmm maybe it is the controle arm.. Is there any way around that? I'm not afraid to cut and weld crap

JordanFleenor

Reaction score
Hmm maybe it is the controle arm.. Is there any way around that? I'm not afraid to cut and weld crap

Yeah you'll cut a hole in the strut tower. Just big enough for the control arm to not hit lol. A few different members have done it. Preludes come with a "shield like" metal piece on the strut tower that gives a little more room for th control arm to move. Look that up and it should give you a good idea.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Ummmm...whoa there, MacGyver, just get a new one.....

A new upper control arm will NOT solve the issue of it banging in the upper strut mount. Going higher will or doing what some have done and cutting a small portion of the upper strut tower.

OP, do you hear a bang/thump sound...is that what you are believing to be bottoming out or???

Back