Slight vibration at freeway speed...causes?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I am having a slight but noticeable vibration at freeway speeds. It may exist at lower speeds but it isn't noticeable enough for me to be able to tell. I can feel my steering wheel move as well. It kind of pulses, if that makes sense. I kind of feels similar to a warped rotor, but less severe and happens without breaking. It is coming from the front end, I know that much.

I have to admit I have not had time to even look at this and it's been raining out pretty bad. I just want to know the causes.

My guess is a bent rim, one of my rims is slightly bent already and may be slightly worse than it was. I cannot remember if it's in front or back, I need to rotate my tires anyway so that will happen when it stops raining. If that is the cause, I know that I shouldn't feel the vibration in the steering wheel, not that it is the ultimate fix.

What are other things I should look at here? If I had a tire out of balance, would it actually be felt through the steering wheel? Any critical suspension components I should check? I just want to tackle this ASAP when the weather gets better or even take my car into a shop if it could be something dangerous.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
First things that come to mind...warped rotor, missing wheel weights, damaged/bent rim, tire damage (bubble or debris), lack of hubcentric rings if bore of aftermarket rims is not close to stock bore of 64.1. Or maybe car is out of alignment.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
First things that come to mind...warped rotor, missing wheel weights, damaged/bent rim, tire damage (bubble or debris), lack of hubcentric rings if bore of aftermarket rims is not close to stock bore of 64.1. Or maybe car is out of alignment.

I don't have hubcentric rings either, but haven't had a problem in the last 5 or so years. My tires are fine, my rotors are not warped. Alignment was done in the last year, not likely but can't say for sure. Sorry, just making my mental check list here.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Also maybe tinker around with your suspension, make sure nothing is loose or going bad (ball joints, etc)

Could be that rim you mentioned.

Last edited:

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score
I think ryders got this one nailed. I had a similar issue turned out I had thrown a weight from driver side front wheel. And I could feel it though my steering.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I think ryders got this one nailed. I had a similar issue turned out I had thrown a weight from driver side front wheel. And I could feel it though my steering.

Good to know. I knew it would give you a vibration but I didn't know if you would actually feel it in the steering wheel.

slowrider87

Reaction score
theres a difference between a vibration and bump steer. try rotating your tires. if the vibration in the wheel disappears with the front wheels are on the back then you can eliminate brake/suspension issues. leaves you w/ improper balance, bent rim, or tire defect.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
theres a difference between a vibration and bump steer. try rotating your tires. if the vibration in the wheel disappears with the front wheels are on the back then you can eliminate brake/suspension issues. leaves you w/ improper balance, bent rim, or tire defect.

Lol, exactly. Plus, bump steer just doesn't start happening 10 years later to a car either.

I am going to do just that, rotate my tires (I need to anyway) and see what changes. Hopefully it doesn't rain. I know one of my rims is slightly bent and my theory is that it either bent to where it may be problematic (especially on the front), or a lost a wheel weight (wasn't sure if it would make the column vibrate before this thread). I will let you guys know, I thank you for the info.

Back