Brake Line leaking

lithiumus

Reaction score
My 99 Accord finally sprung a brake line leak due to the rust that the plastic underside holders caused. Given that both brake lines have rust, I was considering replacing both hard lines.

Honda still sells them and might be worth getting fresh lines. I've heard that there are a lot of parts that need to be moved in the engine bay area. I'm trying to decide if I should just have someone repair it or replace the line myself.

I'll pay someone to repair it, but if I'm replacing the line, I can do that without special tools. Brand new line is only about $150 + taxes.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Wonder if this is covered in a Haynes manual. If not it should be in the service manual which is easy to find on the interweb. I think taking a look at the procedure would give you a pretty good idea whether you want to attempt it yourself.

Sounds like one of those jobs that starts out simple enough, but turns into a PITA. haha

Last edited:

lithiumus

Reaction score
I actually have a copy of the service manual and it's not covered. They only cover replacing the rubber hose from the hard line to the caliper but not the hard lines themselves. I have the Haynes manual as well, I'll check that tonight.

I'm just interested in what needs to be removed in the engine bay area. The rear of the car looks pretty clear.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Wow. Surprised it's not in the service manual. It will be a matter of tracking the hardlines from where they connect with the soft, back to the source. I'm thinking it would be easiest to drain the lines, then disconnect them and drop them out from the bottom. But you might need the car on a lift for that.

lithiumus

Reaction score
Thanks yeah i have a lift. Just want to make sure they are not threaded in between anything or require removal of big parts to clear. Ill have to look again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkmjytump

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
i had one blow out on me a couple years ago. me and a friend just cut out the entire section under the car, and put a new section in. i forgot how much everything was, but it was less than $30. i blew out another one around this time last year, and i bought a new line and 2- 3/16" brass tube nut fittings, and a 3/16" m10-1.0 IF brake line union from autozone, as well as a double flare kit. maybe it was a bit more than $50 with the flare kit. i havent gotten around to it yet because i'm worried about the bleeder valves at the calipers being ridiculously rusty, and im lazy

Aman

Reaction score
Do the brake lines start down at the bottom of the driver's side strut tower?

lithiumus

Reaction score
Yes. Thats where the proportioning valve is. I ordered the brake lines so we will see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkmjytump

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Cool, good luck man. Keep this thread updated as you go if you can, I'm sure info and pics of this job would be helpful for a lot of people.

lithiumus

Reaction score
I'll keep the thread updated. Got the parts in so I'll tackle it this weekend. Warm weather is here so looking forward to working on it!

Back