*URGENT* Hovering RPM's

J30MAN

Reaction score
I know this has been covered before, but I'm going a little crazy right now. I haven't turned my car on since yesterday 9 a.m. Just now I turned my car on to pull it into the garage because I washed it. Once I turned it on the RPMs went up to 2k then dropped to 1k and hovered back and forth.

So far I have checked the tightness of all intake related nuts/bolts and vacuum lines, didnt work. Unplugged the battery for a few minutes, turned back on, check nuts/bolts again, didnt work.

All I can think of now is that the IACV sensor has gone wacky.

HELP PLEASE! :D

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
take the IACV off and clean it and try again.also clean the throttle body-the throttle position sensor maybe wearing out like mine is.Replacing it soon hopefully that fixes mine.

J30MAN

Reaction score
take the IACV off and clean it and try again.also clean the throttle body-the throttle position sensor maybe wearing out like mine is.Replacing it soon hopefully that fixes mine.

The V6 IACV seems like it's not to easy to remove. Seems like its riveted/pressed on. How should I attack taking that off??

J30MAN

Reaction score
Actually. I was wrong lol. If this illustration is correct then its the throttle position sensor that seems to be riveted/pressed on.

2008-09-18_131712_91402338.jpg

001Stunna

Reaction score
take some tb cleaner or spray-water-bottle and spray around the area. whenever you hit the vacuum leak the car will start choking. i'd use that as a means of finding/narrowing down the area.

J30MAN

Reaction score
take some tb cleaner or spray-water-bottle and spray around the area. whenever you hit the vacuum leak the car will start choking. i'd use that as a means of finding/narrowing down the area.

I just feel like it can't be a vacuum leak. I installed new gaskets the last time I was having this problem and I later found out that my throttle body wasn't tightened down enough.

001Stunna

Reaction score
I just feel like it can't be a vacuum leak. I installed new gaskets the last time I was having this problem and I later found out that my throttle body wasn't tightened down enough.

You can just try it, nothing too loose but more assurance about what it can be/cannot be.

J30MAN

Reaction score
Couldnt get the IACV off, one screw is seized. So i sprayed carb clean is that port and dumped that out. Then put everything back together. Turned it on, wasn't fixed. So i sprayed carb clean everywhere like 001Stunna said and it didnt choke or anything. Like I said I'm pretty sure it cant be a vacuum leak at this point. What do I do now? Is the sensor bad?

J30MAN

Reaction score
I was just told by 2 6thGen owners that there O2 sensors were bad and they had the same problem. Does this sound like it is my problem?

Back