car jerks in the morning from reverse to drive

HotboxF23

Reaction score
Looks like you got a leak at the axle seal i mentioned previously
If you got play in the CV axle(given that the axle itself is in good shape) you should replace the seal th the transmission, hopefully that little ring on the end of the shaft isnt missing, in which you gotta get another one or replace the entire assembly

this is the little ring

the axle goes in the tranny..this is the seal it goes through

themachine

Reaction score
Looks like you got a leak at the axle seal i mentioned previously
If you got play in the CV axle(given that the axle itself is in good shape) you should replace the seal th the transmission, hopefully that little ring on the end of the shaft isnt missing, in which you gotta get another one or replace the entire assembly

this is the little ring

the axle goes in the tranny..this is the seal it goes through

I think you're right on the money, this is pretty much where the leak started from. Once my mechanic saw that the axle was moving, he immediately said that it wasn't good and it was internal. I dont think he's too keen on replacing..any thoughts on how expensive this could be or if a transmission shop can replace the ring. Never done anything like this myself.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
I think you're right on the money, this is pretty much where the leak started from. Once my mechanic saw that the axle was moving, he immediately said that it wasn't good and it was internal. I dont think he's too keen on replacing..any thoughts on how expensive this could be or if a transmission shop can replace the ring. Never done anything like this myself.

Yeah i dont think he wants to tackle it, you but its not that hard to do really if you have right tools you just have to give the axle shaft some play coming from the transmission so that you can get it off completely and get the seal out with a seal remover tool I recommend removing the upper ball joint and tie rod and using a pry bar or tie rod remover fork in between the transmission and axle to force them apart if you have to remove the other side undo the axle bolt and sofly tap it through the steering knuckle ..also you gotta make sure the seal goes in straight or else..after that put the axle back in and hit it a few times with a soft hammer NOT ON THE THREADS OF THE AXLE if you removed the other side to give it play and bolt it all back up

if you want a shop to do it they'll charge you ballpark $100 labor just bring them the seal which is like $11

Rep?:gunner:

Last edited:

themachine

Reaction score
Yeah i dont think he wants to tackle it, you but its not that hard to do really if you have right tools you just have to give the axle shaft some play coming from the transmission so that you can get it off completely and get the seal out with a seal remover tool I recommend removing the upper ball joint and tie rod and using a pry bar or tie rod remover fork in between the transmission and axle to force them apart if you have to remove the other side undo the axle bolt and sofly tap it through the steering knuckle ..also you gotta make sure the seal goes in straight or else..after that put the axle back in and hit it a few times with a soft hammer NOT ON THE THREADS OF THE AXLE if you removed the other side to give it play and bolt it all back up

if you want a shop to do it they'll charge you ballpark $100 labor just bring them the seal which is like $11

Rep?:gunner:

will both axle need to be replaced? The passenger one seems to be ok but if you move it, the right one moves with it. The leak is for sure coming from the right axle though. Will engine oil possibly be able to enter the transmission because of it?

HotboxF23

Reaction score
will both axle need to be replaced? The passenger one seems to be ok but if you move it, the right one moves with it. The leak is for sure coming from the right axle though. Will engine oil possibly be able to enter the transmission because of it?

Thanks for the rep!! the axles are both connected to the differential, therefore you would get some movement of the axle on the opposing side if you moved one of them but if it isnt leaking i wouldnt worry about it and as far as engine oil leaking into the tranny i highly doubt it, the pressure pushing outward is greather than the oil would attempt to leak in

themachine

Reaction score
Thanks for the rep!! the axles are both connected to the differential, therefore you would get some movement of the axle on the opposing side if you moved one of them but if it isnt leaking i wouldnt worry about it and as far as engine oil leaking into the tranny i highly doubt it, the pressure pushing outward is greather than the oil would attempt to leak in

That's what my mechanic's employee told me, that there could be some oil in the transmission now. Good to hear that it might not be true.

But hopefully replacing the seal will resolve this issue. I'm going to another mechanic I've known for years. He worked on my car few times and he swaps honda engines quite frequently. I will report back, hopefully with some good news.

Thanks again

HotboxF23

Reaction score
That's what my mechanic's employee told me, that there could be some oil in the transmission now. Good to hear that it might not be true.

But hopefully replacing the seal will resolve this issue. I'm going to another mechanic I've known for years. He worked on my car few times and he swaps honda engines quite frequently. I will report back, hopefully with some good news.

Thanks again

good luck man and no problem!

themachine

Reaction score
good luck man and no problem!

Went ahead and saw my mechanic. After seen the pics, he said that the seal is probably broken and will need a new one.

He also mentioned that the transmission bearing could be broken might , i'd need a new transmission. Only way to check it is to remove the axle.
Also since the transmission mount is weak. That will need replacement as well.

I went to transmission shop. They test drove the car. I explained to them the clunking/ jerk problem.

He said, the seal wouldn't cause the jerk but would cause my engine to act up unless i top it up.
He said the transmission mount will cause some vibration and the jerk will happen constantly but not my shifting.
He thinks the transmission valve are probably too 'sticky' in the morning. This is why i'm experiencing the jerk and the symptoms subsides after i drive the car for few mins.
This will be even worst in the winter.

Now i have 2 options.
Either i go ahead and do a full engine swap, possibly a jdm f23A engine and transmission. Those are running between $700 and $1000.

2. I fix the seal and the transmission mount and see what happens but i will pay for labor.

Back