Speedometer drops to zero

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I was driving with my mom in my 98 4 cylinder manual and all of a sudden my speedometer dropped to zero. Awhile later it started working and then it dropped again and then it started working and this continued the whole way home. Any idea what it could be? No CEL came on and I think my odometer isn't working anymore. I can answer more questions or get pictures if need be. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
VSS problems, prolly, or wiring, or cluster.

Should have MIL if VSS, I think, prolly not if cluster or (certain) wiring, time to get the VOM out.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
VSS problems, prolly, or wiring, or cluster.

Should have MIL if VSS, I think, prolly not if cluster or (certain) wiring, time to get the VOM out.

What's VSS, MIL and VOM stand for?

I'm guessing VSS has to do with speed sensor. I thought that might be it but wouldn't I have a cel?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor
MIL = Malfunction Indicator Light (aka: CEL = Check Engine Light)
VOM = Volt/Ohm Meter (aka: DVOM = Digital, AVOM = Analog)

Varnell

Reaction score
Iirc, mine dropped to zero a few times and the cel never came on. Then finally it stayed down and the cel came on. It's the vss on mine. I haven't replaced it yet. Keeps the miles down. :lawl:

Jordan_H

Reaction score
VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor
MIL = Malfunction Indicator Light (aka: CEL = Check Engine Light)
VOM = Volt/Ohm Meter (aka: DVOM = Digital, AVOM = Analog)

Thank-you. I'll give it a couple days and see if it continues and to see if it throws a cel at me

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Iirc, mine dropped to zero a few times and the cel never came on. Then finally it stayed down and the cel came on. It's the vss on mine. I haven't replaced it yet. Keeps the miles down. :lawl:

Looks like I'll just wait a couple days and see what happens before I spend $50 on a new sensor. The reason it has to be immediate is because my mom was in the car with me so she knows about it haha

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Just drove to the store and speedometer worked fine and I never messed with anything. If it happens again I have an f22 tranny sitting in my shop. Can I use any f series speed sensor and does it matter if it's auto or manual?

briansan

Reaction score
Heh, i dealt with the same issue and for me, i think it was the wiring connection with the cluster. I had a scan guage hooked up to my accord and it was still reading speeds, meaning that the vss was still good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Like he ( /\ ) said, before you do a VSS see if you get speed through the OBD port, quick way to tell you if you need it.

Back