Misfire on cyl1 & cyl5

xci.ed6

Reaction score
random:

front, the belts is -ALWAYS- #1.

left or right bank, it does no matter what has #1, just the one in front.

in back, the transmission is the highest cylinder.

btw, my terminology for left and right, front and back, correct. Just imagine -YOU ARE- the engine, the crank pulley is your belly, the trans is your bum, left/right are like this.

Last edited:

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
So now that we know what the problem is, how do I go about cleaning up all the oil?

I'm going to purchase new spark plug tube inserts, but they are a PITA to replace; removing and reinstallation. How do I go about properly installing them and preventing this from happening again?

Oh, and xci.ed6, could this explain the smell of emissions in my cabin from my other thread?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I looked at you're other thread, and you've got what I've got. You have to find any leaks, cabin and exhaust. I'm sure it's kinda a PITA.

As for stopping occurrence of new leaks, no idea there either. Everything goes back together -EXACTLY- how it came apart. If something is off, 0.000001", expect bad to happen.

As for cleaning, Brake Cleaner. Really. It's pretty cheap, an aerosol, and somehow, it makes oil thinner than water. Also use paper towels to dry them, and you may need a screwdriver or 3/8" drive extension (~8" long) to jam them in/work them around the spark plug tubes.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Usually a valve cover gasket includes spark plug tube seals, you made need one though. It may tear, IDK.

For brand, whatever you had may not have worked. Honda parts apparently work well on this, 220k miles, no leaks. I'd just use those for the risk. My old Honda D's got a aftermarket, cause who cares when you pull the cover & swap it to adjust the valves every 20k?

see:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/PartsSearch.jsp

I had purchased the FelPro gasket kit when I did my VC job last summer. I purchased it since I've never had any sort of issue with FelPro gaskets before in the past.

The link doesn't work here at my work. My work blocks it after the "choose your vehicle" part. Honestly, I think it was just improper installation on my part when I put it together last summer.

I looked at you're other thread, and you've got what I've got. You have to find any leaks, cabin and exhaust. I'm sure it's kinda a PITA.

As for stopping occurrence of new leaks, no idea there either. Everything goes back together -EXACTLY- how it came apart. If something is off, 0.000001", expect bad to happen.

Well, after I put the coil packs back on yesterday I turned my car on for a little bit. My car reeked BAD of oil and gas. After this whole ordeal is over, I'll give my car a thorough go-through and check for any cracks so I can take care of them. What you said in the other thread to check the flex pipe is likely true since what I'm smelling is real heavy.

As for cleaning, Brake Cleaner. Really. It's pretty cheap, an aerosol, and somehow, it makes oil thinner than water. Also use paper towels to dry them, and you may need a screwdriver or 3/8" drive extension (~8" long) to jam them in/work them around the spark plug tubes.

I'll pick some up. I brought a whole thing of shop towels with me as well so that shouldn't be an issue for me to be cleaning up stuff wherever it's needed.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
ah, that site is Majestic Honda, there may be better sites, idk, I just use that one, they're cheaper than my local dealer :D

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I have not had any issues with Felpro either, I just have no idea why you are having one. It could be install. Or it could be a half-way-smashed box. Or it could be caused by a rubber contaminate. Or...

In there I only do this for labor. Price difference is what, like $10? So is that $10 worth the hour it takes to change? Again?

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
The issue was most definitely improper installation of the gaskets on my part last summer. I confirmed this when I pulled out the front VC. The spark plug tube gaskets were pretty much destroyed.

20150203_171451.jpg

I bought a gasket kit yesterday and the spark plug tube gaskets are in the freezer right now. After work, I took apart most of the top end yesterday. I just need to remove the rear VC now. The front VC is off and so are the gaskets. Instead of absorbing the oil out of the tubes with a rag, I'm using a medical syringe used for infants and small children and attaching a straw to it to siphon the oil out of the tubes.

If you can suggest a way for me to put these spark plug tube gaskets in, that'd be great. For now though, they're in the freezer and I'm hoping that they shrink *just* so that they will slide in relatively easy.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
nice work! I woulda suggested a syringe if I had thought you had something (I keep ~5 of 250mL avail ;) )

But, sorry, I don't have much on that for 'secret'...

we did 'em at normal temps, so I hope cooling them works out...

otherwise we coated the edge with oil to slide, random oil is fine, just need a few drops, we used like 80wt gear oil, cause it's thick...

then press, both thumbs, sometimes they're too tight for that, so we used a chunk of wood (to soften blows) and a hammer...

good luck!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
ah, only thing, inside of the seal is damaged, the inside goes against the top of the spark plug tube. So give that edge a good look for any damages, usually it's fine, but it never hurts to have a look first.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Thanks. I had about 1.5hrs of light before it got too dark for me to work. It's not like I'm doing this at home where I have my lamps in my garage that I can use to continue working. Remember, I'm doing this in the parking lot of my work!

Yea, I know it's damaged a little bit. I damaged it last summer trying to take out the old gaskets because I couldn't figure out how the came out. I was using a small flat head and putting it down all sorts of different ways to take out the old gasket. That middle spark plug tube is the one that was most damaged because it was the one I did first. After I took it out, I understood how to take it out and then took it out. So basically, that damage you see there are small scuffs from the flat head screw driver I used.

I really do hope that freezing them works. I'll also add some oil like you said for additional measures. I'm just hoping that by freezing them and adding the little bit of oil that they slide right in without much issue. I didn't bring in a hammer and wood with me, so I might have to go by a hardware store and pick some up.

One question on installing these gaskets. How do I know when they're in properly? When the bottom of the gasket is completely flush with the hole it sits in? Like, just looking at it, it looks that way, but I'm just asking to make sure.

Back