V6 Accord J32 Swap question

98V6Accord

Reaction score
I know there are 1 million threads on this, sorry.

The Acura TL/Cl type-s engine

The ones i've found have the Vin #4 or 5 for the 6th digit

It says Vin 4 for the 6th digit Automatic transmission.

Does it matter which one I get if i'm going to use a 6spd with it?
Will they all bolt up?

Mikey

Reaction score
Doesnt matter what transmission the car had, so long as you get the corresponding ECU from that motor and TCU from whatever tranny you're putting in.

So, yes, you can use a "MT" motor with an auto tranny and vice versa.

NGP_UA5

Reaction score
Be aware, depending on what you are going to do with the ECU (CLS6 ECU) you will be better off with the Manual engine as it has different cam and crank sensors as well as different cam gears.

But if your going to use a richie harness that doesn't matter.

98V6Accord

Reaction score
Thanks ill look into the Ritchie harness. I found an engine the 6th digit is a '5'. I'm not sure if that's m/auto.

$300 plus shipping I'm gonna go with this one and start rebuilding it.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
If you are going to do a manual swap, the tranny should be from a manual as well. Just less headache, not that the auto motor can't be used.

You can easily find the ECU/Harness for the manual from a CL-S as well.

Mikey

Reaction score
I would think if you can find the motor, the tranny from the same car would be usable. Maybe, maybe not.

Id wait until you found one that has the motor and tranny together.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Finding a CL-S 6MT dropout is much easier, but can be a bit rare. Keep an eye on J32a.

If you’re using a 6spd tranny:
If you use an auto motor and don’t use Rich’s module, you need the sensors, ECU, and harness from the manual motor.

If you use an auto motor and Rich’s module, you can use the sensors, ECU, and harness from the auto motor

If you use a manual motor, you just use the sensors, ECU, and harness from it and you don’t need Rich’s harness.

No matter the route, there will be custom wiring.

98V6Accord

Reaction score
^Finding a CL-S 6MT dropout is much easier, but can be a bit rare. Keep an eye on J32a.

If you’re using a 6spd tranny:
If you use an auto motor and don’t use Rich’s module, you need the sensors, ECU, and harness from the manual motor.

If you use an auto motor and Rich’s module, you can use the sensors, ECU, and harness from the auto motor

If you use a manual motor, you just use the sensors, ECU, and harness from it and you don’t need Rich’s harness.

No matter the route, there will be custom wiring.

I understand the headaches I should expect from this, but i'm not sure if this is an auto or manual j32.

Will I only be able to use a 6 spd from cl-s? Or can I use tl-s or 6MT from 7th gen accord?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You have some reading to do. You can use a 7GA 6MT (non-LSD) or 03 CL-S/3G TL 6MT (LSD but more rare/expensive, respectively).

I think Acura has an owners link website like Honda does, just go there and check your motor's VIN. Or if the motor has the extension assembly on the throttle body, then it's from an auto.

Last edited:
Back