Car shifts WAY past redline!!! Rebuilt tranny

1999EX

Reaction score
Hey, newbie here!!

I recently bought a 99 EX v6. The shady bastard I bought it from did not tell me the tranny was almost shot.

So long story short I decided to put 3 grand in to the car (on top of what I paid) and fix everything wrong with it.

I got the tranny rebuilt and it runs good. However, even not at WOT and slight aggressive acceleration it shift's slightly past redline sometimes. Maybe 500 past....

Well today I did some injector cleaner, decided to get on it... The car from 1-2 shift went past 7k (maybe 7200)!!! I immediately let of the gas then it shifted.

I am afraid to floor it as I do not want to damage engine... Shouldn't there be a rev limiter? Is it possible my tach is off?

I will check with transmission shop tomorrow, has 3 yr warranty. However, I don't really know how to have them test it as I am afraid to floor it now, lol.

Any help is appreciated!

JetLife

Reaction score
yeahh i got an auto too, and i can get mine to shift at like 6500. but never 7K! that crazy high...

idk if this is possible but the pervious owner could have removed the rev limiter?

1999EX

Reaction score
yeahh i got an auto too, and i can get mine to shift at like 6500. but never 7K! that crazy high...

idk if this is possible but the pervious owner could have removed the rev limiter?

That's what I am thinking... This car was SUPER jacked with (interior was TRASHED) what's crazy is how smooth the engine is though ... The tranny was jacked but the engine has almost 200k and just purrs.

I am hoping maybe my tach is off... When in 4th gear its at like almost 4k RPM's at 70mph, is that normal? I think I'm just going to swing it by the transmission place tomorrow.

The odomoeter was also replaced by the previous owner, could that lead to tach issues?

JetLife

Reaction score
That's what I am thinking... This car was SUPER jacked with (interior was TRASHED) what's crazy is how smooth the engine is though ... The tranny was jacked but the engine has almost 200k and just purrs.

I am hoping maybe my tach is off... When in 4th gear its at like almost 4k RPM's at 70mph, is that normal? I think I'm just going to swing it by the transmission place tomorrow.

The odomoeter was also replaced by the previous owner, could that lead to tach issues?

damn, well i hope you got this car for dirt cheap lol
V6?
as for going 70 @ 4K.. no thats def not right. might be different if you have an I4; if you do.

hmmm is the odometer OEM?

cjsaccord

Reaction score
It could be a odometer issue. Are you certain the car has 200k? since our mileage isn't stored on the cars computer but instead its stored on every cluster.

JetLife

Reaction score
It could be a odometer issue. Are you certain the car has 200k? since our mileage isn't stored on the cars computer but instead its stored on every cluster.

true that. as far as you know the guy couldve put ****ing 100,000+ miles aready on it before the new odometer

Back