Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums > The Garage > URGENT - Help Quick!

URGENT - Help Quick! Car won't start, or having another issue and hoping for an answer right away? Post in here for the quickest response.

Register to remove these ads

Old 05-19-2017, 02:25 PM
Points: 7,165, Level: 25 Points: 7,165, Level: 25 Points: 7,165, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

haoleflip is an unknown quantity at this point
99 accord lx v6 rough idle, engine power stuttering

Hey guys, it's been a while since I had to come here for help on issues cause my car has been running great until now!

I have a sort of rough idle and whenever I drive I sometimes lose acceleration power completely for a few seconds and I have to push the gas harder to get acceleration going again. Engine is throwing me and every shop I go to (been to 3 different ones) P0401 EGR valve code. I have replaced the EGR valve twice, along with cat and O2 sensors. The first EGR valve I bought I thought was bad, since the issue persisted after I installed it, so I bought another brand new and still having the issue. The code also says that it could be a blocked line that leads to the EGR valve, so I took off all of the lines I could see and sprayed air through them and they all seem fine. I don't know what else could be the problem! Help!
Old 05-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Points: 12,196, Level: 33 Points: 12,196, Level: 33 Points: 12,196, Level: 33
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

WHEEELMAN is more helpful than most
Member Photo Albums
Re: 99 accord lx v6 rough idle, engine power stuttering

Did you visually inspect the EGR port on the side of the cylinder head as well as the intake manifold EGR port for junk that may be blocking one or both ports?
Old 05-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Points: 4,157, Level: 18 Points: 4,157, Level: 18 Points: 4,157, Level: 18

eksine is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like the idle air control is dirty or broken, but thats just a guess, you also might have not clean the egr port good enough, the air circuits also get blocked, looks like an ant maze and if u got it blocked down the egr hole you have to take off water passage to clean it out, you moght have sent the blockage down there
Old 05-23-2017, 10:28 PM
Points: 565, Level: 6 Points: 565, Level: 6 Points: 565, Level: 6
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Rusty Accord is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by haoleflip View Post
Hey guys, it's been a while since I had to come here for help on issues cause my car has been running great until now!

I have a sort of rough idle and whenever I drive I sometimes lose acceleration power completely for a few seconds and I have to push the gas harder to get acceleration going again. Engine is throwing me and every shop I go to (been to 3 different ones) P0401 EGR valve code. I have replaced the EGR valve twice, along with cat and O2 sensors. The first EGR valve I bought I thought was bad, since the issue persisted after I installed it, so I bought another brand new and still having the issue. The code also says that it could be a blocked line that leads to the EGR valve, so I took off all of the lines I could see and sprayed air through them and they all seem fine. I don't know what else could be the problem! Help!
It sounds like you'll have to pull the upper part of the intake manifold, and clean the EGR port. I only say that, as just replacing or blowing air thru it won't do it. I don't have any experience on the V6 engine, but on the I4 engine you separate the upper so you can get to the spot where the build up is. Then you clean both passages.
When I did it on my wife's 00Accord, I had to replace the valve after cleaning the port (I did it before too, but it was a bad one). Since then, no engine codes have come up.

Last edited by Rusty Accord; 05-23-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:18 AM
Points: 7,165, Level: 25 Points: 7,165, Level: 25 Points: 7,165, Level: 25

haoleflip is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the answers guys! I followed this guy in this video and I'm still having the issue. I need to get a long snake wire brush or something and take apart again, because I might have no cleaned it all the way through.