jaz

Reaction score
Changing the rear brake pads as we speak as i need to leave tomorrow, i looked in the other threads about the caliper piston, how can you twist it back in? i see that a c-clamp will ruin the caliper so how can i twist the piston clockwise w/o ruining it, thanks!

p.s i dont have time to go get a piston tool to twist it. i need some hoodrat way to get this done, thanks

Last edited:

Hondastylez

Reaction score
Re: Rear Brake Pads - HELP!

Ahhh the rear caliper compression. The first Time I changed my rear brakes I used a large flat head screw driver and used it sideways to compress the piston on the caliper. You can also try any long metal bar that fits into the small cross like inserts. Be creative.

They sell this thing that looks like a 3D square that has metal tabs on each side for different make/model cars. I purchased mine at Autozone.

Hondastylez

Reaction score

This is what it looks like.

AvB72NjZ.jpeg

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score

Really a C-clamp ruins the rear brake caliper? I have used a C-clamp for 5 years on my rear brakes and never had a problem. O but I just realized that you might have rear drums.

Hondastylez

Reaction score

This always confuses me as I always forget which is which.

I got a V6 so I don't have drums but I know for my car its either front calipers get compressed w/the c clamp and rear calipers have to get screwed in or compressed in a circular motion or the other way around.

finch13

Reaction score

Rear discs have ABS so you'll need the tool for the rear. None of the calipers should be compressed with a C clamp if you have ABS.

Spend the money, do it right, get the tool

jaz

Reaction score

yeah i have rear disc w/ abs, i ended up using a crowbar and pounding it with a hammer lol, it worked so w/e. yeah i know about the tool i just needed this done by tomorrow morning because i'm going back up to ft myers where i wont be able to work on my car. but yeah a cclamp wouldnt even work so i dont know what chu talkin about allgonoshow, but thanks :D

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Re: Rear Brake Pads - resolved

Glad you solved it.
I use a tire lever to turn those things back in. Nice of honda to design such a system with pads that wear out every 30K miles

Back