F23a1 To F23a Swap Surging idle

toryscott1989

Reaction score
Hello and good afternoon from Arizona

I am coming here for help involving my 1998 Honda Accord Ex it had the F23a1
in it and i swapped it after the timing belt was destroyed and a oil leak occurred. so i bought a Healthy looking F23a. I pulled my old engine, i was told to swap the intake manifold and exhaust off my old engine onto my new one and i should be golden so i took everything (New Plugs wires timing belt clutch oil filter and oil) slapped here on the new F23a and threw here in ( i did take my time :p) after everthing was hooked up and fluids were topped of i went to start her for the first time. she fired up and sounds great all except for the SURGING IDLE. ive done countless searches on the web did everyting i could possible think of which contained of cleaning my IACV tryed using the jap IACV i rid the coolant of air bubbles.Please note the before the timing belt breaking this car ran great no issues except the oil leak if anyone has any ideas please please please help me id really be the happiest man with anything !!!

Last edited:

toryscott1989

Reaction score
i think i found my problem if im wrong let me know . it seem to be that when i spray carb cleaner on the driver side top of the intake manifold it wants to die so could i possible have a bad intake gasket?

james'99

Reaction score
i think i found my problem if im wrong let me know . it seem to be that when i spray carb cleaner on the driver side top of the intake manifold it wants to die so could i possible have a bad intake gasket?

Carb cleaner would usually cause the engine to kick up but regardless, I would say yes, you probably have a leak there.

Back