Power issues?!

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Sounds like the 'new' swapped in alternator - may well be on its way out. I had mine do that for a long time, but mine never died - just kept whining. There's no telling when it will sh*t the bed.

Spxnerd

Reaction score
Sounds like the 'new' swapped in alternator - may well be on its way out. I had mine do that for a long time, but mine never died - just kept whining. There's no telling when it will sh*t the bed.

Makes sense.. is there something I can use (eg multimeter and what range volts?) to see if the alternator is working properly?

I spoke with some guys at advanced auto parts, they said it might be the ignition or the coils, I would have to take it out for them to test it.

Last edited:

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
it could very well be the ignition switch as there was a recall on our cars for them. check the vin plate in the windshield to see if there is a little "notch" poked into it. if it has one chances are your ignition has been replaced. i dont know man... that is one of the things about these cars that is complete sh1t. electricity. i had the same issue except it was the terminal on my alternator snapped in half. so i soldered the cable to it and works like a charm. good luck though man. just check your whole harness and trace it from battery to alternator to other electrical connections to see if there is a break in the line abating current to flow.

Reactions: Bax

houk70

Reaction score
I had a very similar problem, i fixed it by replacing the ignition switch. pull the plastic trim off that surrounds the steering column, and it will be right in line with the key hole, just on the opposite side of the wheel. if your problem is like mine, then ur insulation on the wire burned off. (i got a new one from honda for $88. took all of like 7 minutes to replace.

houk70

Reaction score
so, basically i cant post my own thread, so im sorry everybody, but i gotta post it here, please help!

So obviously, ive got a 6th gen. (1999) Coupe 3.0L V6)
The number 10 Fuse on the passenger side (in dash fuses) keeps blowing. When this fuse blows, my instrument panel lights, license plate light, and the running brake lamps (the ones that are on even if you dont press the brake pedal) wont work. So, even though it was a bad idea, i replaced the fuse with a wire to find the weak spot, and the wire burned, just like i knew it would. The wires that burned are behind the glove box and plug into a unit near the fuse panel. i followed these wires as far as i could, only to find out that they "disappear" behind the pssenger side airbag (which i dont want to mess with. Any idea where these wires go? or what going on? And i dunno if this will help, but one of the wires that burned was insulated in green/red and the other was black/red.

PLEASE HELP!!!

001Stunna

Reaction score
so, basically i cant post my own thread, so im sorry everybody, but i gotta post it here, please help!

The number 10 Fuse on the passenger side (in dash fuses) keeps blowing. When this fuse blows, my instrument panel lights, license plate light, and the running brake lamps (the ones that are on even if you dont press the brake pedal) wont work. So, even though it was a bad idea, i replaced the fuse with a wire to find the weak spot, and the wire burned, just like i knew it would. The wires that burned are behind the glove box and plug into a unit near the fuse panel. i followed these wires as far as i could, only to find out that they "disappear" behind the pssenger side airbag (which i dont want to mess with. Any idea where these wires go? or what going on? And i dunno if this will help, but one of the wires that burned was insulated in green/red and the other was black/red.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Why in the name of all that is holy would you place a wire in there???
No offense, but that is simply stupid. Best of luck on the electrical problems you made much harder to fix now. Maybe take the battery negative off, let the car sit for awhile and then attempt removing the airbag and keep following the wires.

cirsurvive711

Reaction score

PLEASE HELP!!!

thread jack?

Back