H23a DOHC vtec swap?

Pumpingiron

Reaction score
H23vtec is a hell of a engine, not that good on high rev tho, but you sure be amazed!

Thing is if you want to stick to Automa**** and obd2 you will be limited, spending money on few upgrades and piggyback so you can manage to extract maybe 50% of the potencial of this engine...

Stock internals, Ported Intake manifold, CAI, Tri-y replica, custom catback at 3'' with some tuning you will be able to extract easly more than 200whp...with a obd1 ecu of course! Then with the jdm type s trans. who came with LSD you will be in heaven man!

Torquewise you will be amazed with the type-s gearing/h23 torque combo!!!

Just my opinion!

AFAccord

Reaction score
i dont see how it will still be sluggish the h22 swaps hall *** and ive seen them with auto trannies to the h23a dohc vtec was in the accord sir wagon
which is a heavier car the h23 has more torque than the h22 only thing is it doesnt rev as high stops at 6200 rpm

I bought an '01 Prelude a few months back for my lady as her first car. It's an auto, since all attempts to teach her to drive a manual in three different cars failed horribly. Personally, I very much dislike it just because of the transmission. The H22 sounds very nice (even being bone stock), but the auto trans ruins the whole experience. And no, it doesn't haul *** at all, even with the car being nearly 300lbs lighter than my Accord.

Thing is if you want to stick to Automa**** and obd2 you will be limited, spending money on few upgrades and piggyback so you can manage to extract maybe 50% of the potencial of this engine...

Stock internals, Ported Intake manifold, CAI, Tri-y replica, custom catback at 3'' with some tuning you will be able to extract easly more than 200whp...with a obd1 ecu of course! Then with the jdm type s trans. who came with LSD you will be in heaven man!

^^ What he said.

vm6thgen88

Reaction score
thanks for the input guys its funny beacuase i was keeping it automatic for the same reason lol my wife cant drive stick even after many failed attempts and many fried clutches trying

this sucks man i dont know what else to do i figured it wouldnt be that bad automatic cause of torque what about the tranny that comes with the engine from the accord sir wagon

Pumpingiron

Reaction score
Buy a civic aut. for your chix and go for the big picture with the accord!:D

Ya the sir tranny will be definitely better, but i,m not 100% sure if is not all the same in Accord! Something you can go for in obd2 is the usual piggybacks and the megasquirt! Usual bolt-ons will work great also, the injectors are limited on all H series, if you can upgrade it! Fuel pressure is great begin with a piggy but check it with a wideband, and beware that more than 10% of pressure on stock injectors is very harsh on them!

http://www.megasquirt.info/

Last edited:

Kid2000EX

Reaction score
but is the motor a h23a block with h22 head?? i ask cause there is no "h23a vtec". although there is a h23a1 vtec. just a little fyi

Ummm.....Yes there is an H23A Vtec, 220hp on it

Buy a civic aut. for your chix and go for the big picture with the accord!:D

Ya the sir tranny will be definitely better, but i,m not 100% sure if is not all the same in Accord! Something you can go for in obd2 is the usual piggybacks and the megasquirt! Usual bolt-ons will work great also, the injectors are limited on all H series, if you can upgrade it! Fuel pressure is great begin with a piggy but check it with a wideband, and beware that more than 10% of pressure on stock injectors is very harsh on them!

http://www.megasquirt.info/

I chuckled, if your gonna do that you'll have to buy this first

http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4303

Pumpingiron

Reaction score

Accord_SiR

Reaction score
Help- I'm doing this swap and need to know more on the wiring to the dizzy and will my f23 harmonic balancer work considering the JDM h23 did not have power steering, what else is there to this swap I got the ecu that goes with the engine a also have a auto trans, any info would help thanx

ninjacord

Reaction score
Ive heard that the h series wont stay in vtec if it has an auto tranny. Meaning that if you slam the gas, every time the auto tranny upshifts it drops out of vtec. Is this true? If so does it apply to all platforms or is it just h series exclusive?

Back