[SOLVED]Need help - Air Conditioning in North West Arkansas[SOLVED]

cesthree

Reaction score
SOLVED. See post #3 and 4 if you're curious about my resolution. Thanks!

Hi all, I am in Fayetteville this summer for an internship at Walmart in Bentonville. I'm from Pittsburg, Kansas; I go to school at Pittsburg State University majoring in Information Systems since 2009. I went back to school after being a mechanic/technician for 8 years. I worked at a John Deere dealership as a master service technician.

Unfortunately, I have very few tools with me, and my family is strapped for cash until I get paid from W-M.

My wife has Multiple Sclerosis. She is very sensitive to heat and humidity. I need some help from anyone in the area, if possible.

I drove to the store this morning and my A/C clutch went out. The compressor turns freely. I serviced the A/C myself about 2 years ago: replaced hoses, flushed system, new dryer, fresh oil, and replaced belts.

I need a clutch (pulley and pressure plate). The coil is in good shape. I can get an aftermarket clutch kit from O'Reilley's (Four Seasons = Murray) for $120, but it won't be here until Wednesday. I probably won't have the money to pick it up until I get paid, anyways.

If anybody has an old compressor with clutch, and hopefully some tools (snap-ring pliers are needed to remove pulley), I would be eternally grateful for any help. When I get paid I will make it worth your while. Thanks to all! Have a great Memorial Day!

Oh yeah, I've got a Denso 10PA17C compressor.

Last edited:

cesthree

Reaction score
Re: Need help - Air Conditioning in North West Arkansas

Forgot to mention what I'm rolling: 2000 Honda Accord EX 4DR 5 Speed

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score

Clutch went out on mine a few months ago... decided to just go ahead and get a new compressor since the price was just a little more than what it would've cost to buy just the clutch.

Anyway you can pick compressor up from a junkyard and just grab the clutch from it?? I got one for $50 so I could still drive my car around until I actually repaired and replaced everything.

cesthree

Reaction score

Clutch went out on mine a few months ago... decided to just go ahead and get a new compressor since the price was just a little more than what it would've cost to buy just the clutch.

Anyway you can pick compressor up from a junkyard and just grab the clutch from it?? I got one for $50 so I could still drive my car around until I actually repaired and replaced everything.

Thanks for the ideas. I would check out a junkyard, except it's a holiday weekend and nothing is open. I'm super busy this summer with my internship, so I don't have enough time to gather the resources to replace the compressor (which is probably the best idea).

Actually, I ordered a brand-new Denso 471-1190 from Amazon last night (it was late or I would have updated my thread to solved). The compressor comes with a clutch and everything for $200.28 shipped, brand new, and I use Prime to ship so it will be here by Thursday.

I am going to steal the stator, pulley, and pressure plate from the new compressor for the summer so I won't have to evacuate the system. My A/C was working very well as I mentioned the repairs I did a few years back, forgot to mention that I replaced the expansion valve then, too. I've got a year left in school, and the dealership I worked for will let me replace the compressor in the fall (gauges, oil, A/C machine, refrigerant, etc.)

I was going to just drop my car off at Fayetteville Honda and bite the bullet with the bill; however, they don't offer loaner vehicles, and the only type of service they would be "comfortable" with doing was "completely replacing the A/C system". I've retrofitted 30+ year old Deere row-crop tractors that I didn't replace the evaporator and condenser, just the compressor, expansion valve, drier, and complete flush without incident. Oh well, I'm sure they've have a unique customer base, and I understand.

If I have to take my wife anywhere we'll just go late at night/early in the morning, or I'll grab a rental car. One week of sweating it out won't be too bad for me.

Hope all of you Accordlesworth owners have a great summer. :peace:

Back