High Mileage 6th Gens

skabone

Reaction score
DarkSideAccord said:
synthetic burns way more.. stick to mineral
really? I thought is was less likely to, and I though the weight of the oil also plays a big part. I just got my oil changed and I was talking to one of the techs trying to get a better understanding and they said the synthetic was less likely to burn in general. I had used 5W20 regular oil last time and said to switch over to synthetic and they said to up the weight to 5W30 with the synthetic and it would perform well and it would be able to handle the abuse I put on my car.

justvtec

Reaction score
I have used synthetic oil 10w30 for about 8,000 miles and no problems

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
my bro was a motor oil distributor back in asia and i helped him in a couple of trade shows... learned a lot abt oil during my stint there...

synthetic oil burns faster, but more protection... mineral is good as long as you change ur oil regularly..... and yes, the weight of the oil matters a lot too... for older engines, u want a heavier oil.. why? older engines have lil holes here and there in the engine components..... those lil holes causes loss of compression if not taken care of... thicker/heavier oil can fill in those holes and maintain the compression, while lighter oil cannot do tht...hope tht clarifies stuff abt oil

Twobit

Reaction score
so now, in winter what do you suggest I use? 5-40?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
Twobit said:
so now, in winter what do you suggest I use? 5-40?

for winter or summer use, u just need to look at the first digit, which in ur case here is 5.... either 5 or 0 will do... i think 5 has a freezing point of -20F or something like tht.... unless if u're staying in alaska or somewhere really cold (like -50F), 5 should be ok ;)

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
sorry to be a little off-topic, but my cel went off today. 2 consecutive trips at over 45 mph got the job done. gotta love electronics!

White4Door

Reaction score
mine is at 154,000, new tranny put in 3 months ago with 2 year warranty, changes timing belt, doing a oil change this weekend, but a friend of mine up in here has over 200,000 miles on his car and it looks good and drives good but i dont wanna blow up his spot like that, he'll probably post it......

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
My friend had over 150k on his 98 accord and it was still running strong untill it got totaled.

acrod99

Reaction score
My numbers are now about 50k on the engine, 74k on the rest of the car.

Back