Noob coilover question

7ender

Reaction score
Quick question regarding my Nex coilovers-

I've been previously adjusting height by turning the shock body ring only. The Nex coils have three rings- two to adjust preload and are next to the spring, and a third lower down. I can get a picture if this is unclear.

When should I adjust the upper (spring preload) rings? I bought the coils used, so I don't know how they were set by the previous owner- iv'e only adjusted the shock body part. How do I know where the upper rings should be set and how will turning them affect my ride/ride height in the first place?

Thanks

001Stunna

Reaction score
Some1 can correct me but pre-load on the spring usually should be set to the point where the spring is just snug in place and unable to move up/down. One thing you can do is measure the spring uncompressed then compress it about 1-2mm using the locking perch closer to the spring, then lock the next perch against it and you should be done with it.

Last edited:

7ender

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Another question- would it be bad to move the rings up so that the spring is compressed rather than sitting neutrally? This would allow for me to lower the car more, as the shock body ring would also be able to move further.

hirichard

Reaction score
YOU_DAMN_NOOB.jpg

copied from someone on this site

7ender

Reaction score
Perfect, thanks. Turns out I didn't need to change the upper perches anyways...I was playing with them today and my car is basically on the ground =)

ShaGGy21

Reaction score
I searched !!!! and found the answer to my question . lol . just thought i would bring this back up for anyone with the same question as me about adjusting the two collars on the spring ... you dont. now I know :boink:

Back