Weird issue with low/high beams, buzzing and low voltage

001Stunna

Reaction score
I went out to the local parts store to buy some washer fluid and on my way back, turned on the car and was on my way home. Noticed a weird thing though...the HID lowbeam on the driver side did not turn on.(Both of them worked fine when i went out)

I turned them off/on but still nothing. Thinking that maybe the bulb burnt out i went home and was about to change it but then thought...lets switch the bulbs. Low and behold the previously "burnt" bulb now turned on when placed in the passenger side(connected to pass. side ballast). I deemed the driver side ballast at fault and was going to call it a day but noticed another weird thing.

-when the headlight switch is on the full on position, the passanger side hid comes on, the driver side doesnt, and my DRLs stay on:confused:. Thinking i had the highbeam switch pulled i try and flick it a few times but nothing changes.

So for now the issue at hand was that my DRLs would stay on with the lowbeams and pulling the highbeam switch would do nothing, and that my driver side HID ballast wouldnt work.

Since i don't have an extra ballast i went to switch both lowbeam bulbs to normal 9006 bulbs. I put both bulbs in and fire them up. The passenger side is bright, the driver side one is dim. Switch the bulbs around and the driver side is still dim and passenger side bright.

However now a third issue appears when the switch is on full on, and i pull it(in means of turning on high beams) nothing happens but i hear a buzzing sound from passenger side fusebox area.

Hence 3 problems in total that have got me going nuts.
1-DRL's stay on no matter what position... when they're not supposed to. They're supposed to be on only when the switch is on Off or on parking lights.
2-Highbeams do not exist. When pulling the switch nothing happens, the DRL's are on and you hear a buzzing sound from fusebox on passenger side
3-The driver side lowbeam outlet seems to be sending out less power then it should and can't fully fire up a normal 9006 bulb. (i fear this is why the ballast wont fire either)

The above have got me going nuts and i can't see sh1t driving at night no matter what i do, hence why posted on here rather then on general forum.

I tried to use a volt meter to measure the voltage on the driver side outlet but couldnt as the voltmeter probes i got are to thick.
I tried checking the DRL fuse on passenger side box and it was fine, i replaced it just for the sake of it but still nothing.
I tried disconnecting and reconnecting and everything over again but nothing.

Ideas?Suggestions? all appreciated...

Also some questions if any1 knows...
-are both driver and passenger wirings under the same harness? or does driver side get power on its own, and passenger get power from another site?

-where about are the ground locations for the headlight wires?

-what could be buzzing in the fusebox?

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
Update:
Ok i spent a good hour or so going through each fuse and testing them and turns out the 20a fuse for LHeadlight was blown in engine bay fusebox. I replaced it, turned on the car, tried the headlights and it blew again. It did this about 4 times and then i gave up on replacing it.

The relay for both L/H seemed ok and there was no continuity between 1/2 (the two parallel/horizontal prongs).

Back