F23 distributor ears broke off in top end

Hondararri

Reaction score
So after changing both seal/o-ring in distributor and heater core hose I was reinstalling the distributor, after several attempts of lining up the back hole(rear bolt hole). I decided to use the bolts to help seat the ears back in place like a dumbass and then heard a click thought it was just seating, went to start the car and nothing thought it was timing off 180° but knew it was right but pulled the distributor anyways and saw that both tabs were broke off the distributor. Immediately saw one of the tabs pulled it with a magnet the second is yet to be found pulled the valve cover and ran a magnet over The area best I could but nothing, drained the oil too worried if it's in the top end big issue/ oil pan less issue sorry for this to be my first post new car for my daughter my 4th Honda have a pilot and civic as well have learned a lot from this forum in the 2 wks I've owned the car I'll try to post pics but compressing and links aren't my strong point any thoughts has this happened to anyone? Am I the first in Accord History ? I've got a new/used distributor for $50 (oem hitachi junkyard) coming today, but was gonna pull the cam cage to get a better access to top end to see if the tab shows up save the remarks wife and daughter have beaten you to it !

Hondararri

Reaction score
Update after much Searching/evaluation:banghead: seems the tab is in the oil pan and it doesn't appear it would have made it into the valve spring or the valve/ cyinder head according a couple of folks here locally that know more than I do was told not to loose any sleep one guy even said he had a screwdriver tip in his bottom end but here is what learned the lobe/tab is offset so there is a certain way it goes back on the shaft so I was told even the the button was pointing in the right direction the tab was 180 off so when I forced it on it broke the tabs hope someone learns from this other than me !

Back