Overheating!

nsjames

Reaction score
r
-shouldnt be your water pump. if it was, you would hear a grinding noise from the bearing inside it going bad.

that is not always true, there are other ways a water pump can fail than the bearing.
I personally have pulled a water pump that spun fine, but the impeller fins were gone because the coolant had never been changed and the corrosion just ate the impeller.

Have you replaced the radiator cap? A leaky cap will cause random boil overs.

99accord boi

Reaction score
like many people said start with ur thermostat then theres the posibility for air in the system
i had the same problem .. i switched the thermostat and bought a new sensor fixed my problem for a week then my car started overheating again turns out i needed to get the air out

AbflugSupra

Reaction score
UPDATE:

radiator is fine, coolant is fine, cooling system is fine, thermostat is fine, water pump is fine and the car has been running smooth. apparently it's an internal engine problem, possibly a crack somewhere.

the car has been running smooth and normal but when it overheats, i notice that the radiator coolant is low (not the reservoir but the actual radiator coolant level), so i fill it up weekly/biweekly through the radiator cap and it seems to be working for me so far...if it is an internal problem, i'm going to just invest in another accord for the future so long as this car can keep me going until i'm out of college haha

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Any coolant mixed with the oil? White smoke out of the exhaust? If none of the above things you described are wrong, I'd say all signs point to the head gaskets.

Change your oil and have a looks at what drains. If it has a chocolate milk look to it and smells like coolant, there is your problem. Just hope that since you have continued to drive it that the heads aren't cracked or warped to the point that they cant be fixed, or you'll be looking for a new engine.

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
I get it pressure tested through the system to see where it leaks fluids and to read the gauge if it has air in the system

JEER42

Reaction score
Make sure you check your oil to see if it's mixing with the coolant like JMiller said. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a crack in the block. Hope that's not the case for you and only a head gasket. Good luck and let us know what happens.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
You mechanic should have done a leakdown test. Thats what i would have done by now and im not even a shop owner :lawl:.

A cracked head can be repaired with aluminum weld if the crack has not reached one of the valve seats.

Back