Changing Spark Plugs: Caution TONS of PICS...56k's Beware!!!

cajun

Reaction score
Mark,

I did my cap + rotor + plugs a few months ago. If you are just replacing the cap + rotor you don't have to worry about TDC. You'll see when you remove the old rotor - the new one only goes back on in the correct position.

Edit: oops, I didn't see there was a 2nd page before I chimed in.

Last edited:

calgaryaccord

Reaction score
iphonegeek's article refers to replacing the entire distributor (including cap and rotor, but also the shaft and gear assembly driven by the camshaft). In this case, TDC would be VERY important. If done wrong, the ignition timing would be wrong and the engine would misfire on every stroke (and therefore not run).

In this case of this article, you're only replacing the distributor cap and rotor, which can only go on one way. Cap and rotor cannot impact ignition timing and so TDC is not a concern.

iphonegeek

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied. Given that I upgraded to the Iridium Ix plugs, would you suggest replacing with NGK wire set at same time?

Thx,

Mark

calgaryaccord

Reaction score
There's no need to match the brand of the wires and plugs. I used the same plugs you did, but with Bosch wires. All of the OEM brands (Bosch, Denso, NGK, Champion) are pretty much the same. If you move up to Accel or the VTECnology wires from TAS, you'll get more quality. Otherwise, I'd stick with any of the OEMs.

Raymond

Reaction score
I <3 this thread. Props to the OP, this is gonna come in handy for me soon.

iphonegeek

Reaction score
I swapped out the distributor cap and rotor this weekend after having already changed my spark plugs. I can't believe the difference. Thanks to the poster for the great pics and DIY instructions.

Back