Upper Ball Joint

civic_has

Reaction score
I had been noticing vibrations at highway speeds and took the car into the dealership for a check. They said that the upper ball joint on the left side had gone bad, and est. $340 for repair.

After some research I feel like the UCA is a simple job that I can tackle at home, just want to check a few things with you guys who probably have removed the UCA numerous times:

1)Seems like you just have to remove 2 bolts and one nut, but how do you gain access to the two bolts on the side do you have to drop the strut?

2) Will I need a alignment after I change the UCA?

3) Should I buy after-market or O.E.M, there is a local auto shop nearby selling 2 UCA left and right online on ebay for $40 (comes with 1yr warranty), the honda ones sell for $100 each online, do you really need oem for UAC?

953734.png

Last edited:

BkzTafetta

Reaction score
yea UCA are pretty simple to take off...... if you've done suspension on our cars before it should be cake....but why would u swap your UCA if all you need is a Upper Ball joint? The upper ball joints are just pressed in i believe....pretty easy if you rent a ball joint presser...$340 bill for one ball joint is a tree trunk in ur a**....keep us updated....

metrick1235

Reaction score
i could never find a UBJ just alone.. I had to get the UCA it comes with it pressed in. its not a big deal,

2. No you will not need an alignment.
3. I bought a ebay one that was OEM replacement for like 40ish and it has served me well

civic_has

Reaction score
yea UCA are pretty simple to take off...... if you've done suspension on our cars before it should be cake....but why would u swap your UCA if all you need is a Upper Ball joint? The upper ball joints are just pressed in i believe....pretty easy if you rent a ball joint presser...$340 bill for one ball joint is a tree trunk in ur a**....keep us updated....

I was thinking about doing that, but as far as I know there are no auto part stores in Canada that do part rental. Also I the current UCA are pretty rusty, and having new shinny uca would be nice lol.

Last edited:

civic_has

Reaction score
i could never find a UBJ just alone.. I had to get the UCA it comes with it pressed in. its not a big deal,

2. No you will not need an alignment.
3. I bought a ebay one that was OEM replacement for like 40ish and it has served me well

Thanks, I have been seeing mixed opinions about ebay UCA. I don't plan to drop my car, so hopefully the eaby ones will last a long time. They are only $40 for a kit + 1yr warranty so if they last at least 2-3yrs I would be pleased.

001Stunna

Reaction score
I wouldn't use ebay parts for ball joints. I just did both my UCA's with upper balljoints and tierod ends and just went with OEM. I know the oem lasted up till 200 000km now so spending 110$ for an uca/balljoint for the next 200 000km is not an issue at all. Doesn't matter if you want to drop you car or not...saving 60-70$ but risking your wheel caving in on the hwy at 100-120km/h is not worth it, unless you value money more then your own head.

In addition its usually recommended that the uppers be changed with the UCA, the lowers can be pressed in and out.

meximan16

Reaction score
the thing that's a pain is taking the ball joint out of the uca

swollen_cu

Reaction score
meximan16 said:
the thing that's a pain is taking the ball joint out of the uca

That's why it's worth it just buying the UCA for only $110. Saves you a lot of time.

meximan16

Reaction score
maybe i just had the wrong tools, it took an hour then i gave up and went to a shop with a press

Back