Car overheating while idle?

hellfire127

Reaction score
I think the whether may have something to do with my car overheating while idle. I went to a friend's house and left the car in the sun idling as I wasn't expecting to stay longer than 15 mins and plus I had food in the car.

Well after leaving my car on idling with the ac on full for 15-20 mins, i've noticed my car was overheating when i pulled out of his house. I immediately turned the engine off and turned the heat on full blast. it cooled the car down eventually and i was able to drive it fine afterwards without it overheating.

i've checked the coolant and it wasn't low, the radiator itself was changed about 1-1.5 year ago. should i flush the coolant?

also, the cap on the high port of the ac seems to be missing. i'll need to go get a new cap for it, but i noitced that it bubbles in the hole....

any suggestions? i was thinking of getting my ac recharged by sears for $125 and flush the coolant myself.

it's on a 99 accord sedan, the fan seems to work and everything.

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Well if the schrader valve is leaking you need to get it replaced and have your ac recharged...but that shouldn't have anything to do with your overheating problem.

My guess is that your thermostat probably got stuck if you had no trouble again.

hellfire127

Reaction score
my ac isn't blowing as cold as i would like it to, or it just might not be as cold as it has been in the past. i did put some freon in it last year.

yeah, i was thinking that the thermostat could have been one of the problems when that happened. seems to be doing fine right now, haven't driven it since i came back from that incident.

chrismister2k1

Reaction score
Is it overheating with just the a/c on or does it do it with it off to because if it does it when its just on then it can be ur fan not turning on.

hellfire127

Reaction score
it just overheated that one time with the ac on while idling in the sun. weather was very hot that day, 96ish if i remember. i think the fan was spinning, but not totally sure. i'll prob have to test it around when i get the time.

MikeyMike

Reaction score
mines doing the same thing, it will only over heat when the AC is on... matter of fact it just did it to me again 10 min ago.. i just got a new radiator cap hoping that would be the problem... drive 15 min no overheat started to get excited, then as i was 5 blocks away from home the needle started to climb.. i hit OFF on the climate control and the needle instantly started to fall...

im still at a loss... next im going to try n flush the system... ive "bled it" "burped it" bla bla bla countless amounts of times... both fans work, thermostat opens :wtf1:

hellfire127

Reaction score
Mine hasn't done it anymore for some reason. Maybe it was just too hot that day and I left it on idle for too long.

hellfire127

Reaction score
ok, i just found out that the passenger side fan isn't coming on. anyway to check if it's the sensor or the fan itself?

just had the ac recharged by sears and it blows a lot colder now. but the passenger fan doesn't come on when it needs to. car overheats on idle. runs great on freeway or when there's airflow.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Isn't the passenger side fan supposed to only pop on when the AC is on ?

Back