can i still save my tranny?

99accord boi

Reaction score
i have a 4 cyl auto and the transsmission is on its way out but i am wondering if it can be saved by replacing the torque converter+ tranny fluid flush or just tranny fluid
the problem:
fist and second gear give a small "kick" wen the car is driven for the first 3-5 miles then after it shifts smooth like butter
every time i start my car cold i let it warm up for 5 min
thanks for the help

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
Im not really sure but nxt time let the car warm up atleast for 5 mins more

Theres no need to warm the car up for that long, i have a 98 v6 accord and the car can be completely cold and it shifts perfect soon as i take it out of the driveway. Why would you replace your torque converter? that has nothing at all to do with what your transmission is doing and would be a complete waste of money.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
how many miles you got on it? and has it had a tranny flush before? if your car hasn't had its regular tranny flush you could actually do more damage to it by flushing it. with lots of miles there's lots of gunk and nasty **** inside there that could be holding some things together that have gotten worn down or ****ed up but don't show symptoms yet. By flushing it and replacing the ATF your putting new detergents through the tranny and cleaning all that gunk that could be holding problems together.

or you could be totally fine and a tranny flush could help maybe get a little more life out of your tranny. But I've seen people flush tranny's with as little as 120k that had never been flushed before and after doing the flush and nothing else they lost second and third gear. so unless you've had regular tranny flushes its really a crapshoot.

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
how many miles you got on it? and has it had a tranny flush before? if your car hasn't had its regular tranny flush you could actually do more damage to it by flushing it. with lots of miles there's lots of gunk and nasty **** inside there that could be holding some things together that have gotten worn down or ****ed up but don't show symptoms yet. By flushing it and replacing the ATF your putting new detergents through the tranny and cleaning all that gunk that could be holding problems together.

or you could be totally fine and a tranny flush could help maybe get a little more life out of your tranny. But I've seen people flush tranny's with as little as 120k that had never been flushed before and after doing the flush and nothing else they lost second and third gear. so unless you've had regular tranny flushes its really a crapshoot.

Great info, i stay away from tranny flushes period unless you are the original owner of the car. All i do is check the tranny fluid and add a bit if it needs it, thats it.

99accord boi

Reaction score
ok part 2
i jus bought the car today has 315k on it on a suposedly rebuilt trans
im am the third owner of the car the previous owner bought it with 40k on the tranny and only drove it on highways

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
ok part 2
i jus bought the car today has 315k on it on a suposedly rebuilt trans
im am the third owner of the car the previous owner bought it with 40k on the tranny and only drove it on highways

a lot of ppl say the trans is rebuilt when they sell the car, doesnt mean anything.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Unless they have the receipt for the rebuilt trans, I call it bs.

People on craigslist always try to get people to buy their things by saying...

Timing belt, water pump, thermo, oil, filters, gasket, etc... Has been changed, but hasn't done anything to it.

If they did, they would be happy to provide receipts to prove it.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
wait what? 315k? ya DO NOT do a tranny flush unless you have receipts from it having one done every service interval. if it hasn't ever had one you will almost definitely hurt it with a flush. is this a 6th gen your talking about? thats a **** ton of miles for a 6th gen.

Back