can i still save my tranny?

redlinevtec

Reaction score
i have a 4 cyl auto and the transsmission is on its way out but i am wondering if it can be saved by replacing the torque converter+ tranny fluid flush or just tranny fluid
the problem:
fist and second gear give a small "kick" wen the car is driven for the first 3-5 miles then after it shifts smooth like butter
every time i start my car cold i let it warm up for 5 min
thanks for the help

Damn Abe? What happened? It's weird to imagine you with an auto. How you going to impress the ladies now?:)

wait what? 315k? ya DO NOT do a tranny flush unless you have receipts from it having one done every service interval. if it hasn't ever had one you will almost definitely hurt it with a flush. is this a 6th gen your talking about? thats a **** ton of miles for a 6th gen.

Lol damn dude calm down. He's not stupid. He had a 6thgen 5spd sedan. Probably came up on this car because he got a steal on it. Otherwise, he never really messed with this generations POS junk automatic.

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
Theres no need to warm the car up for that long, i have a 98 v6 accord and the car can be completely cold and it shifts perfect soon as i take it out of the driveway......

I disagree.

It wont hurt to let it warm up for at least 5 minutes. After he drives it for a few miles, the OP said it shifts like butter. That is because the fluid reached operating temp.

Sounds like his clutch packs are going out or Could possibly be the hydraulic pump?

try a drain and fill and see what effect that has.

99accord boi

Reaction score
Damn Abe? What happened? It's weird to imagine you with an auto. How you going to impress the ladies now?:)

Lol damn dude calm down. He's not stupid. He had a 6thgen 5spd sedan. Probably came up on this car because he got a steal on it. Otherwise, he never really messed with this generations POS junk automatic.
thanks mom for defending me from somebody on the internet:poke:
I disagree.

It wont hurt to let it warm up for at least 5 minutes. After he drives it for a few miles, the OP said it shifts like butter. That is because the fluid reached operating temp.

Sounds like his clutch packs are going out or Could possibly be the hydraulic pump?

lol wat he meant was an additional 5 min to the 5 i already spend on warming it up

lol remeber people i jus bought this i didnt even open the hood before we sealed the deal we drove around in it and it shifted fine
it only does this wen the car is driven for the 1st 5 miles of driving it then it disapears

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score

why are you telling me to calm down? i never once called him stupid I was just pointing out if it has that many miles and its never had a tranny flush he would probably destroy the trans by flushing it.

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
I disagree.

The fluid is not supposed to take that long to reach operating temp. My point is that the transmission needs a rebuild in general, after he rebuilds it he will see that he doesnt even need to "warm up" the car and the transmission will shift just fine. IF YOU LIVE WHERE THE OP LIVES AND YOU HAVE TO "WARM UP" YOUR CAR FOR 5 OR 10 MINUTES JUST TO GET IT TO FUNCTION PROPERLY THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

Last edited:

Chris Vu

Reaction score
The fluid is not supposed to take that long to reach operating temp. My point is that the transmission needs a rebuild in general, after he rebuilds it he will see that he doesnt even need to "warm up" the car and the transmission will shift just fine. IF YOU LIVE WHERE THEY OP LIVES AND YOU HAVE TO "WARM UP" YOUR CAR FOR 5 OR 10 MINUTES JUST TO GET IT TO FUNCTION PROPERLY THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

I live near where the OP lives :haysm9:

99accord boi

Reaction score
I live near where the OP lives :haysm9:
:haysm9: it was fukin hot today bro!!
Try Chuck E Cheese, thhhat's the spot for looking for kids
he has a wife dont know why hes looking for kids
Just looking out for kids.
myob :thumbup:

aight well final decision is im not gonna touch the tranny and jus wait till it takes a **** and replace it
as for the engine i think ill buy a fresh one drop it in my manual accord and the old engine from the manual into the automatic

Last edited:
Back