98 LX with loud clunking noise over any imperfection in road

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
HBkXyNl.jpg

BUMP!

Can anyone lend a hand?

I know a torn boot indicates eminent failure, but what does this mean?

A broken boot means the grease is gone, but how did this happen to my boot? Dont see any leaking grease...

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
My wife's car started making a clanking noise over any bump. I crawled under the car and found out one of the two caliper bolts worked its way out and the noise was the caliper pivoting on the one bolt and banging against the rotor.

capsidx

Reaction score
You could check for a tear in the boot but as you said it seems ok. It looks like the boot got pulled a little too hard and stretched out the ridges. I had this happen on a ford I worked on but the ruffled boot doesnt mean anything really as long as the axle is still in solid. You could check the tie rod ends for excessive play as my car had that happen before. sometimes a small bump would make a clunking sound. I had a helper actually slam the tie rod back and forth with me in the car to confirm it was the sound and it was. So check the tie rod, tie rod ends, sway bar links, sway bar, suspension bushings and in rare cases the motor mounts and get back to us :)

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I really do appreciate it.

So when this first started happening, I got under the car with and without the weight of the car on the wheels and shook, pulled, and pried everything. Nothing really jumped out at me as super loose or a safety hazzard.

I did find that the right outter cv boot had a slight tear and the boot itself was slipping off the axle. The cheap autozone sway bushings had also hardened after a year so i replaced them along with the axle.

You can see the left axle inner boot in the photo above. I took off the axle yesterday and tried pushing the inner joint in and out. It did go in and out, but way too easily. It was like using a shake weight( those infomercial dumb bells that shake). I went and replaced that yesterday. Sound is still there today but less noticable. After putting the left wheel back on and tightening the lugs, i noticed play in the wheel. All around, 9 and 3 o' clock, and 12 and 6 o' clock. Sounds like a wheel bearing to me so that will need to be done as well.

Here's the shocker, after replacing the left axle, I was ready to throw in the towel. Last night I went to double check everything under the hood and to make sure there wasnt a rock somewhere that I missed before(thanks Nam1911a1). I saw something dark and round underneath the condenser. I looked closer and it looked like a round donut, it was the radius rod bushing!!

I pulled the coolant reservoir and and stuck my hand in the frame where the bushing goes and felt just the threaded shank of the radius rod! No bushing, plate, spacer, or nut!!

How the heck did this nut come off?!

I replaced the bushings on both sides not too long ago(3 months?) Everything was torqued to spec! I tried pulling on the radius rod before and there was absolutely no play.

Im going to get another bushing kit today and see if it resolves the issue...

to be continued

capsidx

Reaction score
This reminds me of the time I couldnt get my VTEC to engage. It all started when I cleaned my rocker arms before I really knew what I was doing. I put it all back together and the car ran. Success :). Until VTEC didnt work. For 8 months I couldnt figure it out. I was ready to sell the car and get another one. But then....... I found a post explaining the oil pressure port for a oil pressure tester under the valve cover. It stated the bolt must be placed back in after you were done. Then it hit me. I never put the bolt back in. For 8 months a missing bolt crippled my car :flipthebird: . I got to install an oil pressure gauge in the car which was good :) .But moral of the story was to make sure you put EVERYTHING back, even if it doesn't matter or seem like it will lol. Not saying you will, just a word of caution and a laugh at my expense.:waytogo: . Anyways I hope this fixes it for you! Also, dont throw in the towel bro, ever, thats what the forum is for lol.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I'm glad you got it figured out. Some things I like to check after a few hundred miles to make sure they are still tight and torqued to specs.

Maybe your torque wrench is out of spec?

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Okay folks, here's an update.

I removed the radius rod (which is a pain in the *** to remove those 19mm bolts) and replaced the bushings, reinstalled, and torqued when on the ground. I even used loctite blue or permatex blue whatever.

Took it for a test drive and for the first few minutes it sounded better. After a while, we are back with our daily scheduled clunking:Boo::Boo:

What are the chances of the steering rack making this knocking? That was the only part i didnt try to pry and shake

Any more ideas, let me know guys

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Yes sir. They are good and tight. The noise seems to be coming from the middle of the car, near the shifter.

Back