Acceleration stops at 4000rpm

Hondagyuri

Reaction score
I just bought a 99 coupe with a 2.3 4 cylinder engine 5 spd manual transmission. After a week i went to try it out on the highway but when i tried to push it to red line at 4000 it starts to "stall" it won't go above 4000 so i change gears before i break something. It does it in every gear. I think because it is a v- tech thats when it should really start to go. But all it does is shakes on me. If anyone can tell me what is going on i would appreciate it. The car has 193000miles and the check engine light is on. Also idling is to high and constantly goes up and down. I'm sure someone has some ideas to help me out. Thanks in advance for any help. George

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Re: Exceleration stops at 4000rpm

I would check the ignition system. Distributor cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs.

And on the 2.3 vtec engages at around 2500rpm not 4000.

My car was doing the same thing. Turns out the plugs were looking like they were dipped in crude oil.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score

that's limp mode. get the code scanned and fix the problem, and you should have full rev range back once fixed. could just be you're low on oil as well, so check that before you waste any money on anything else. if the oil's good, go get it scanned or you could always jump the obd connector and figure out the code on your own.

Hondagyuri

Reaction score

Thanks for your help so far. I checked with autozone and my vtech selenoid is the problem but the thing is 144 dollars, too much for me right now, so if you guys have a used one cheap please let me know ...

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
try cleaning the screen, i've heard that could inhibit oil flow before. the reason the car goes into limp mode when the oil is low is because there isn't enough for the vtec system. a clogged or gummed up filter screen could cause the same issue.

Back