Cracked transmission housing

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
So I have has my 1999 f23 5sp for a couple months now and put about 2k miles on it. I drive it a little hard a few times a week. I'll take it to 6k rpm every other day or so. Today I drained and flushed the oil. Put seafoam I the oil. Drove to wal mart and back. Drained it. Poured in super tech high mileage oil. Ran it for 5 minutes and drained it again. Oil came out dark the second time. The. I put in some full synthetic and a new filter.

While I was down there I figured I'll wipe down the road grime and grease and oil build up on the tranny. To my surprise the case has some cracking.

My temporary fix is gonna be a lot of two part epoxy and some fiberglass mat. Drain the tranny fluid. Decrease the case. Scuff the case so the epoxy will adhere and smear that crap all over with fiberglass mat and layer more epoxy over that. I can't afford a new transmission until next summer.

Anyone ever see anything like this before?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 57

Cherryelky305

Reaction score
Its not cracked. Thats just casting imperfections on the surface

If it was cracked there would be no fluid left in the trans

Leave it be

Cherryelky305

Reaction score
Its normal

Even if it was cracked no amount of epoxy would hold it together. Look for pictures of v6 honda oil pans. Youll see the same thing

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
The salvage yards around here want 350 for a pulled tranny with unknown mileage. I said u can have it. I'll save for a synchro tech remanufactured tranny for 700

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I'm going turbo next summer. This transmission in the car now has 212k miles on it and the synchros are about gone.

I just want a fresh transmission for turbo usage. aamco quoted me 1600 dollars to rebuild the transmission. 1000 if I pull and install the tranny myself.

Might as well exchange it for a remanufactured one for less.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would find a quality trans rebuilding that can put new synchro's and/or gears in it. I wouldn't replace the whole thing.

Look into Mfactory and I think GearSpeed Inc

Back