Transmission Finally Gone....

Ace37

Reaction score
I knew this time would come, just wish I had done more research before I bought this car. Don't even feel safe driving anymore because now besides the slip, I can be in 3rd or 4th cruising at 50-70 and the Tranny randomly decides "hey this gear is too high for this speed" and tries to kick down a gear and jerk thr whole car WHILE I'M MOVING! And Tranny won't bite anything until over 5k if I'm starting from a stop so can't do it. I'm a college student, I don't have a ******load of money right now to throw at the car but I need a running car asap. The 6speed swap is over 2k in parts alone, rebuilt Tranny about 7, rebuild kit and have a shop do it is about 7/8 and I can't afford it. So basically I'm trying to see if there's a way to distinguish between rebuilthe Trannies and the used ******ed up ones, maybe extra coding or markings.....??? If you don't know where I'm going with this, basically I want to go yank one out from the yard but not tryna run into the same situation and I read somewhere about another car that when the trannies were rebuilt there was additional markings to tell. Don't be cynical and rant about getting a new one and how I shouldn't do this and that, Im aware. This is only temporary until I can afford the correct fix. Again if ur comment is negative just move on, already in a bad position.

irtiza18

Reaction score
Thank God youre okay, im ina similar position as you are, i think you should yank another good tranny out of the yard and just swap it with the same one

604ACCORD

Reaction score
My van did same thing they replaced the clutch discs with heavy duty ones and flushed out trans cooler, re drilled some fluid channels they said were to small. Cost me 1500 have not had any issues since.

Ace37

Reaction score
Thank God youre okay, im ina similar position as you are, i think you should yank another good tranny out of the yard and just swap it with the same one
Yea that could've went bad very fast, especially if I was in the highway.... I-75 isn't a joke.

Ace37

Reaction score
See if you can swap a low mile one over and throw on an trans oil cooler

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Actually didn't think about the low mileage lol but that sounds like the best, and cheapest, resort right now. Thanks for that (hopefully I can still find a low mileage 6th gen v6 accord lol)

JBoat

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. How many miles are on it? Do you know the service history?

I'd agree that if money is tight a used one is a good option. Some places may offer a short warranty or exchange option. Make sure to drain and fill it with new fluid and maybe change the switches and pull the solenoid to clean the screens. A cooler is a good idea and maybe an inline filter kit as well...

bhuynh1998

Reaction score
I'm currently at 139k miles and I had my first CEL P0780 detected on an OBD II scanner, which is a shift malfunction related to the shift solenoids. I, myself, am an amateur with cars, so all I knew is that the J30A1 engines had faulty transmissions that would eventually clog and suffer after 100k miles, usually hit and miss. I reset the code and started shifting the car manually for a couple days (I know it's bad). 1st gear slips sometimes as it changes when you're in OD/D4, and you come to a stop or accelerate from a stop. CEL hasn't come on, and I'm hoping to keep the car for at least another 2 years tops, that is, if the tranny even lives that long. Getting an oil change at 142k miles, so I might as well change out the ATF while I'm at it. Genuine Honda ATF, anyone? Or just the usual Valvoline Max Life ATF Mercon V?

trillobite

Reaction score
Well, I'm not the only one who was crazy to buy a 6th gen thinking it would be a good car for college! My sister had a hyundai with a trans going out, and it lasted for years, so when I just bought my Accord LX about 4 days ago, I thought I would have time to save up... but... after reading around on the net, I was WRONG! It appears that once symptoms seem to show up, the transmissions will just suddenly lay down and die. :(

How did the transmission symptoms begin, and how long did it take before your transmission became too much to handle? I'm going to be in the same boat shortly, so I will be hunting around junk yards soon too.

Edit:
You wouldn't believe how expensive cars are in California, my Accord was the only car I could get with a "good" engine for under $3k, and it was only because I bought it from a neighbour who cut me a "deal" for a car with a bad tranny at $2k LOL! I couldn't even snag an SUV with a bad engine, trans, and cat for under $3k! Now, this isn't my thread, so I'm not going to go on a big rant, but I have to say, I understand your position, and in this market of used cars, it's tough as a college student... really... really... tough. I wish you luck, and I will be watching this thread.

Last edited:

trillobite

Reaction score
Genuine Honda ATF, anyone? Or just the usual Valvoline Max Life ATF Mercon V?

From the research I have done in the past few days, use only Honda DW-1. I actually have a theory that the 6th gens may be having issues as people go to jiffyLube, and authentic Honda ATF is not used. (Since Honda ATF is not cheap) I even read a thread yesterday from 2009, that a Honda dealership installed Mercon ATF and blew a poor guys transmission out. But if someone more experienced with these cars say otherwise, feel free to follow their direction, I'm a n00b lol.

Back