Urgent! I need help estimating something.

ejreams

Reaction score
So, as some people may know, I recently got into an accident with my accord.

The frame is bent, the radiator is back 6 inches, the left wheel is almost rubbing the fender, and some of the suspension parts in the front may or may not be affected.

I got some estimates for $1,600-1,800.
Which is a lot of money to estimate putting into the car considering I bent the frame. It may be more money too once they start getting it going.

What I need estimating is, How much would it cost for me to have my auto tranny swapped into a 98v6 Coupe.

Because down the street at a small dealership is a 98v6coupe with a slipping tranny and they're asking 1,000 for it.

I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm just thinking.. it probably wont have more milelage than mine, I'm at 215,000.... and any other small things wrong with the car can be dealt with because I would then have a parts car.....

and its weird because its litterally down the street..

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
no idea, but it will cost a bunch if you have a shop to doit.

i think ppl said it cost them 1500 to swap autos at honda.....

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
you are wanting to swap a v6 auto tranny with over 215k miles into a car to avoid having your current car fixed? There is no way that your tranny will last long enough to make that worth while...

whether you spend 1800 getting your car fixed or spend 1000 + whatever it costs to swap trannys....the transmission is going to fail anyway so why spend the money swapping it

if insurance is paying for it then fine, but if i were you i would look at a different car.....or a 4cyl 6g

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
you could find a shop to do it for cheaper

me, i would rent a cherry picker and do it myself

ejreams

Reaction score
you are wanting to swap a v6 auto tranny with over 215k miles into a car to avoid having your current car fixed? There is no way that your tranny will last long enough to make that worth while...

whether you spend 1800 getting your car fixed or spend 1000 + whatever it costs to swap trannys....the transmission is going to fail anyway so why spend the money swapping it

if insurance is paying for it then fine, but if i were you i would look at a different car.....or a 4cyl 6g

Ok, good point. This was an irrational idea.

My car is still driveable for now and I currently live at home and can borrow my moms car as often as possible.

Insurance will not be paying for it, I only have liability.

I just got a new job, and plan on going back to school this year, Fall or maybe Spring.

What I plan to do, at this point, is drive the car until its done. Hopefully it lasts quite some time and I'll have money saved up to decide what to do next.

And thank you for taking the time to post.

@badger, I wish I was confident and knowledgeable enough to do things like that. haha

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
Ok, good point. This was an irrational idea.

My car is still driveable for now and I currently live at home and can borrow my moms car as often as possible.

Insurance will not be paying for it, I only have liability.

I just got a new job, and plan on going back to school this year, Fall or maybe Spring.

What I plan to do, at this point, is drive the car until its done. Hopefully it lasts quite some time and I'll have money saved up to decide what to do next.

And thank you for taking the time to post.

@badger, I wish I was confident and knowledgeable enough to do things like that. haha

its pretty easy honestly. Only took me and two other guys about 7 hours to do it without any of us ever doing anything like that before. Just find a way to get an alldata print out on how to do it and just follow the directions. If your puttin the same tranny in it, its basically plug and play thats a little more involved.

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
id say do tha trany sawp ur self otherwise find another car, urs has to any miles to consider fixing frame in my opinion

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
OP has your car been put on a frame puller yet to see the extent of the damage, or have you just had a visual estimate?

Back