Tail light condensation - Need help!

KombatVirus

Reaction score
So anyways

After buying a set of OEM tail lights, and then applying a rather expensive tint-job (film not spray, costed 140$) I noticed that the tail lights are catching moisture / condensation and will eventually lead to water.

How can I determine where the leak is? How can I fix this issue? I really hope to find an answer because I don't want to waste even more money on new tail lights, and re-tinting. this is seriously bugging me and driving me crazy!

startswitha

Reaction score
So anyways

After buying a set of OEM tail lights, and then applying a rather expensive tint-job (film not spray, costed 140$) I noticed that the tail lights are catching moisture / condensation and will eventually lead to water.

How can I determine where the leak is? How can I fix this issue? I really hope to find an answer because I don't want to waste even more money on new tail lights, and re-tinting. this is seriously bugging me and driving me crazy!

I would just take them out and reseal them. Probably easier than looking for a small leak

KombatVirus

Reaction score
how would I go about re-sealing them? I heard of people using silicone, but I am not sure what kind and where to apply it

also it seems to be only in the upper portion, could it be getting in around the tail light bulb socket?

Winters coming and I really want to get this fixed. If anyone knows any shops in the GTA that could do this kind of stuff as well please post or PM me

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Best way to cover yourself is to apply silicon along the entire seam of the housing (between where the lens and housing meet), unless you can pinpoint where moisture is getting in. Hardware stores sell clear outdoor silicon sealant that is weather/temperature resistant, usually comes in a squeeze tube or a tube for use with a caulking gun. It's easy to do.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I think I may actually have to do what you suggested, Chris, for my Intersection Lights.

KV, just seal them up once the moisture is gone, should be fine once that's done.

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Sounds good! Thank you RedRyder and Syk!

Any idea how to get the moisture out? take off the lights temporarily and bring them indoors? I will try doing that today or tomorrow in that case

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
The moisture will dissipate on its own, if you get a day or two with low humidity and no rain. Put a fan facing the taillights and let it run for awhile, that may expedite it. Or you can open them up and wipe them down.

If you take them apart, you could tape a couple silica packets inside them before reassembly. It’s arguable how much this actually helps but it won’t hurt.

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Great info red, thank you. I do t think I will be taking them apart because the heat would remove the tint job I just got done

Back