clutch pedal adjustment not working

Pat

Reaction score
Im trying to adjust my clutch pedal release height and cant quite get it. Everytime i try to turn the nut on the back of the cylinder that is directly behind the pedal, the rod that goes through the firewall turns too. I dont want to mess anything up, but i cant get my head behind to see what the heck im doing. Any tips / tricks? My clutch release height is driving me bonkers. Ive searched everywhere and all it says is "turn the nut at the back of the cylinder" it also says there are two nuts but there is no way two wrenches can fit back there! Help.:Pshyco:

Edit, I found two pictures of the assembly. There is one nut. Like I said, the rod itself turns with the nut. Any thoughts?
http://s901.photobucket.com/user/pa...[user]=137671888&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
http://s901.photobucket.com/user/pa...[user]=137671888&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

Last edited:

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Wow, didnt even know you could do that. My clutch is also set way too high, maybe thats why I have had so many problems with comfort with it?

Pat

Reaction score
There are a couple references on this site but not enough detail for me i guess :(

Pat

Reaction score
Figured it out.
What I had to do was, put some vice grips on the rod to stop it from moving, than crack the stop nut (13mm). Loosen off the stop nut, than turn the rod the desired way. Mine was turning it counter clockwise to shorten its length. This lessened my freeplay. I checked it to make sure it is the way I liked it, then snugged up the stop nut. Now it catches much closer to the floor, the way I like it.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Hmm I might look into this. I feel like mine engages a bit high.

Could messing with this have any adverse affect on the clutch? Like shortening it’s life? Or might it last longer if you’re engaging it lower so your foot isn’t on it as long since it doesn’t have to travel as far…

KombatVirus

Reaction score
This looks like an awesome thing to do! my clutch engages way too high, I can't rest my foot on the floor when engaging it

if you could do a write up with pictures (or Red if you decide to) it would be really amazon and appreciated. its been bugging me since I got the car

mossberg

Reaction score
Interesting mod. With 130k miles, my clutch engagement point is higher than I'd like from an ease of operation perspective.

Sent using Tapatalk

juiCyyaccOrd

Reaction score
Hmm I might look into this. I feel like mine engages a bit high.

Could messing with this have any adverse affect on the clutch? Like shortening it’s life? Or might it last longer if you’re engaging it lower so your foot isn’t on it as long since it doesn’t have to travel as far…

Chris,

My clutch engaged high too, really really high and it was bugging the **** out of me, so my friend changed the engagement height and the drive is alot more enjoyable now. It shouldn't affect the life on the clutch.
Maybe it's just the way that Rich adjusted ours lol

Back