Max hp on F23a1 engine with stock internals

honda_egf22

Reaction score
Strictly for the F23a1/ F23a4.

I know there had been lots of threads but most of them go nowhere. Everyone says a 100% increase is power is about the max this f23a1 engine will hold "reliably". Or like "dude it can only take 8 psi". Please dont comment saying they have weak ringlands so only 200 whp is safe. Or someting like "mines went to 225 and blew so it should be safe around 200". Please dont say that every engine is different so hp levels will vary. All these examples have nothing to do with how many peole went over 300+ whp mark. They only have to do with how many people DIDNT.

How many of you have been past the 300+ whp mark. Ive researched and concluded that about only 4 people have hit whp 280-350. How many others have hit this mark reliably and successfully for at least 1-2+years. Again, please don't comment saying something like it wont hold even 200 hp because my car blew at 200. Please don't comment saying its all about the tune. I already know it is. I just want to know statistic wise of how many people hitting that mark and how long their engines lasted. I want successful stories not the failed stories. If you hit those power levels for at least 1+ years i want to know. No failed stories just the successful ones. Im planning to hit at least 300-320 with arp head studs and water methanol used to increase my margin of errors. I figured that if 10 out of 30 people hit the 300+ hp mark then most likely those 20 out of the 30 did something wrong (bad tune, old worn engine, wastegate stuck close, bad gas, etc etc). Another dumb exaggerated example: if 40/40 people blew their oem stock internals and never made it past 500hp. So to "conclude", most likely the f23a1 cannot take 500whp.<- that was an example so don't flame me for that.

It would be really cool if those who have hit the 300+whp mark would comment in. Live input with direct experience is always the best stuff.

Dyno charts with Rpm readouts instead of mph would be cool too if anyones got some. Want to see a few dyno charts just to show where the power band starts and ends per diff setup based upon tuning, turbo manifold, exhaust sizes and turboes used.

honda_egf22

Reaction score
nobody? guess ill have to give it a shot and report back in two months then.:hadoken: make or break

phi1542

Reaction score
nobody? guess ill have to give it a shot and report back in two months then.:hadoken: make or break

If you want 300+ on your F23 it would be pretty hard. I mean anything is possible, it just depends how much money you have. Something like that will cost a lot of money. Stock F23 is like 135 HP right? So you're trying to add another 165+ HP. Boost is good on the F23 since it has an iron block. You'd probably have to rebuild your engine to ensure everything will hold and actually build your engine before boosting. Like cams etc. I've never boosted my car before but from what I understand it will require a lot of money. I don't think it is a good idea to try and build a 300+ motor with stock internals.

honda_egf22

Reaction score
Thanks for the response I appreciate it. But i'm really searching for those who have achieved it or know first hand of someone who has/ had reached the power goals of what i mentioned above with stock internals. I self tune my own cars using Neptune RTP and custom fabricate my own turbo setups and mainly anything weldable. Not the average beginner noob but still a noob because there is always something new to learn no matter how smart. I have a boosted F22 at the moment which is similar in design ish depending on how specific one wants to be with the bore and stroke specs, etc etc. Building a kit for my daily driver as we speak thats all. Yes daily driver with max achievable hp lol. Its ironic but with a good tune, well built turbo setup, ball bearing turbo, and water meth injection, those all will help a lot in my favor of reliability without going forged with them picky aluminum expansive forgies. We all know depending on which alum alloy, some just love to expand more than others. I see no use in forged internals for my DD. Im aware of having the block stuffed with forged internal goodies. But im really interested in max hp of these stock bottom ends that people have achieved. Not interested in the other ways to go about making 300+ hp as we all know its all about forged internals from there on. I just wish there was like say 10 people with a great tune running water meth to compensate for lots of error and like 8 of them hit 350 and the other two hit around 300. Then i can conclude that the engine is good for about 320. something like that is what im looking for. BUt most times you only have testimonies of people saying they hit 230 and blew it. We all know that it was most likely due to a bad tune or gas or something like an unhealthy engine. We all know that a healthy f23 with proper tune and good gas wont break at 230. Basically if you eliminate all the weakest link up until oem engine internals how many has reached 300+ or had the balls to push it. I know we got some balls of steel in here somewhere lol. Searching for those with balls of steel before I dip my balls.

The stock f23a1 heads/ cams can flow up to around 430+ whp. So a cam isnt required for something like this. The stock block/ internals will most likely give up first in a setup like this before the oem cam reaches its limit.

Also this is all regarding Forced Induction. Obviously not N/A lol. We all know the N/A f series kings

Last edited:

f23.Tetsusaiga

Reaction score
I hope this thread gets more attention and input from those you are seeking! What you talk about is intriguing. I too would like to know if people have been able to achieve this. Unfortunately, I have not myself. But I chose to comment to keep this thread alive. I will turbo at some point, not a matter of if but when! It would be great to see you making those numbers with reliability and on stock internals. If no one replies and you feel like making that leap, I hope you pull the trigger and make a write up about it. Damn, if I am able to do it within a year, I'll make a write up about it!

-Avery

phi1542

Reaction score
Thanks for the response I appreciate it. But i'm really searching for those who have achieved it or know first hand of someone who has/ had reached the power goals of what i mentioned above with stock internals. I self tune my own cars using Neptune RTP and custom fabricate my own turbo setups and mainly anything weldable. Not the average beginner noob but still a noob because there is always something new to learn no matter how smart. I have a boosted F22 at the moment which is similar in design ish depending on how specific one wants to be with the bore and stroke specs, etc etc. Building a kit for my daily driver as we speak thats all. Yes daily driver with max achievable hp lol. Its ironic but with a good tune, well built turbo setup, ball bearing turbo, and water meth injection, those all will help a lot in my favor of reliability without going forged with them picky aluminum expansive forgies. We all know depending on which alum alloy, some just love to expand more than others. I see no use in forged internals for my DD. Im aware of having the block stuffed with forged internal goodies. But im really interested in max hp of these stock bottom ends that people have achieved. Not interested in the other ways to go about making 300+ hp as we all know its all about forged internals from there on. I just wish there was like say 10 people with a great tune running water meth to compensate for lots of error and like 8 of them hit 350 and the other two hit around 300. Then i can conclude that the engine is good for about 320. something like that is what im looking for. BUt most times you only have testimonies of people saying they hit 230 and blew it. We all know that it was most likely due to a bad tune or gas or something like an unhealthy engine. We all know that a healthy f23 with proper tune and good gas wont break at 230. Basically if you eliminate all the weakest link up until oem engine internals how many has reached 300+ or had the balls to push it. I know we got some balls of steel in here somewhere lol. Searching for those with balls of steel before I dip my balls.

The stock f23a1 heads/ cams can flow up to around 430+ whp. So a cam isnt required for something like this. The stock block/ internals will most likely give up first in a setup like this before the oem cam reaches its limit.

Also this is all regarding Forced Induction. Obviously not N/A lol. We all know the N/A f series kings

Oh i see haha sorry I cant help! and yes obviously forced induction haha idk man I think you have to be the pioneer on this one and dip your balls into steel lmfao good luck out there and I hope to see some updates soon! Sounds like you have the resources and experience to achieve your goal.

honda_egf22

Reaction score
yeah thanks guys. I do have all the resources except the dyno and shop area. Just all my moving back and forth from Cali to Utah really makes things impossible atm. I got half my crap in cali and half my crap in utah. Got okay$$ in utah but no space. Got tons of space in cali but no job there.:banghead::signs6: Its a pain but next week i am going back to cali to tackle the turbo setup and fab it all up then street tune. I wonder how she is going to sound with 3" exhaust all the way to a dual 2.25" 2013 wrx subi exhaust with quad tips having its muffler interior re worked on. Cant wait. Prob wont squeeze out the max hp till i get her back to Utah and do yet another street retune for Utahs higher elevation then some dyno hours then some more street tuning. From then on its boost till i blow. Thank god the engines are $175 complete with no trannies at the junks in utah with 170k mile engines.. pix of parts coming soon onto this specific thread. :signs6:

honda_egf22

Reaction score
2013 subaru dual exhaust with quad tips. Got them for a steal of $50. Can't wait to open up the insides and make them 2.25"

3" to two dual 2.25" will not be restrictive till upper 360+ HP so it'll be perfect for this build. The wrx guys make up to about 350awhp on these OEM mufflers with 1.75" inlets into the muff and I'm changing mines to 2.25". These muffs shouldn't be too loud for a daily driver setup. Which is what I'm aiming for and of course the more luxurious/ sporty look of quad exhaust tips

Last edited by a moderator:

honda_egf22

Reaction score
Found an Acura tl-s at the junk and took Its front hub assembly for a 5 lug conversion. Couldn't remove the rears but got some rear disc off a 2000 v6 accord. Very similar in brake pad size just that the tl-s rotors are slightly bigger versus the 98-02 v6 accords. Got the whole tl-s front and rear sway bars also. Slightly bigger than my i4. Also picked up a spare f23a4 ULEV exhaust manifold. Only for the exhaust flange because its hard to locate flanges for our accords to use for a turbo manifold.
Pictures of manifold coming soon. Since my f22 has a ram horn i'll prob just make a mini ram or this f23a1 setup. Will give me slightly faster spool for a D.D. anyways.

Last edited:

honda_egf22

Reaction score
My older f22 turbo setup in my eg with a ram horn.
Don't mind it not having an intercooler it was designed with water methanol in mind so no intercooler needed.

Last edited:
Back