98 accord 2.3 car shut off when turning off ac

warriorpluto

Reaction score
my friend has a 98 accord 2.3 vtec. she took it to some guy. he changed the injectors and rail because the fuel smell under the hood. that fixed the smell but now the car shuts off when you turn the ac to the off position. the mechanic says the ecu is the cause. would this be true?

Chris S

Reaction score
Haven't tackled this one myself but there is probably either a short in the circuit to the AC controller or there may be an ECU problem. You may want to try re-setting the ECU first. Turn the car off. Take the negative battery terminal off and leave it off for 1 min or more. Put it back on and start the car and drive it for 10-15 minutes. See if that fixes it. There are a lot of ECU related posts. Eric the Car Guy has a YouTube video of how to pull an ECU for a Honda from a salvage yard car. You could also try replacing the AC controller. There are YouTube videos on how to do that as well. You can practice removing one at the salvage yard before you try to remove yours. I have replaced the AC controller in mine a few times.

Back