Need Advice, Intermittent stall on freeway

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
definitely not on the evap codes. i had it on in my previous 6g for two years and never had a problem with the car running or starting.

Anwar

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that out. I will post if it stalls again.

Chris S

Reaction score
It might be the fuel pump and/or low fuel pressure. Check out Scotty Kilmer's YouTube video "Fixing a car that shuts off randomly"

hondaluver

Reaction score
I have the similar 99 accord LX auto 4cyl and random stalls on the highway for a sec or two with dash gauges dropping and key flashing but then resumption of normal power. Happened 3 times on a 30 min hwy drive. I am thinking main relay but it looks fine. Resoldered a few suspect welds on the back. Next ignition switch but it tests electrically fine and can't replicate the stall with any flicking or manipulation of the key itself. Battery main neg ground was rusted off but that has been replaced. Thoughts?

Nocture

Reaction score
I had random stalls at different times. Sometimes it would restart right away, other times it would be minutes. ICM? inside the distributor was the culprit

Chris S

Reaction score
Someone else, see "98 Accord LX dies/shuts off while driving.." posted a similar/identical problem. I think the inputs are ignition switch, ignition module or bad solder joint on main relay. The best cheap way to tell if it is the ignition switch - Turn the car on and then off while carefully observing the lights and behaviors on the gauge cluster when you turn it off. If, while driving at highway speeds, when it shuts off, you see the same behavior on the gauge cluster as when you turn the key off, then it is a sure sign of the ignition switch. There are YouTube videos by scannerdanner, and ericthecarguy that you can also watch for more ideas. And, again, review the other post.

Anwar

Reaction score
Problem solved:
Glad to say I replaced the main relay and no more stalls. Easiest way to tell if it's ignition switch Vs main relay is if your radio-stereo or dash lights stay on when you stall then its the relay. If they all shut off replace the electrical part of ignition switch.

DavesRide

Reaction score
If the dash lights stay dark or flicker after the stall, ignition switch.

If the dash lights come on after the stall, could be the fuel pump relay. Common issue with Honda's.

Back