*UPDATE* post 25. My wife needs a new car. Should we get this one?

My wife needs a new car. Should we get this one?

• Looks like a good deal!

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • That thing is crap!

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

Accord281

Reaction score
Re: My wife needs a new car. Should we get this one?

honestly, it's not bad but i think you could find a better deal with lower miles. i've seen some 98-00's w/ less than 100k and they're cheaper than that in great condition. but then again i live in socal so much more selection

Yeah thats what sucks about living in this area. There isn't even a 6th gen for sale locally! Plus my bank will only do a loan on 02 and newer.

I'd look it over for signs of rust, it is in Duluth after all, where Superior sprays nasty **** and the winters are full of salt, more than usual.

- Check bottoms of doors
- Around door weatherstrip above mirrors
- Rear quarter panels, near door

Also open the oil cap, gas tank if there is any signs of smoke and check front radiator support and frame at the front of the engine bay for signs of wrecks

I will definitely look into those things. Thank you for the heads up!

try and talk them down cause of that carpet, and the inevitable trans failure, otherwise it looks really clean GL w/ purchase

Yeah that carpet does look pretty bad. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the 02 V6 trannys are better than 98-01 trannys or do they have about the same fail rate?

The dealership also has a 4 cyl SE for sale for the same price. I was thinking that would be better until I saw in one of the pics what appeared to be rust in the wheel well.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

$7500 seems a bit high for 108k miles. And I'd be curious to know what that 1000 mi drivetrain warranty is about, this car may have had some work done on it...which I'd further investigate if that's the case.

Other than those two things though, looks good to me.

Btw the thing with the newer V6 transmissions is that they may or may not have the same fail rate, but I believe the newer model years had extended warranties. I'm sure someone here with a V6 sedan knows. Test drive it. If it shifts smoothly and is responsive, then it's alright. All you have to do is get regular fluid changes and not drive like a retard. And I doubt your wife drives like a maniac.

Yes these tranny's have a bad rep, and some of it deservedly so. But I baby mine and it's running strong. I don't get on it until it's in 2nd, because the people who abuse it state that the shifting between 1 and 2 is the first to go. Good luck man.

Last edited:

slow f23

Reaction score

price seems a bit high. .

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score

The car looks pretty clean to me. I would be somewhat worried about the transmission in the car. If it were me I would get the VIN and call Honda Customer Care and have them pull records to see if the transmission has been changed. Just tell them you are about to buy and they should help you out.

stanleybb50

Reaction score

I voted "looks like a good deal" - but I woulda been somewhere closer along the lines of - its worth buying, but you need to talk them down to closer to like at the most $7k -- but really should land somewhere around like $6,750.00 in my opinion...

cirsurvive711

Reaction score

Get a carfax.. The front of the car looks like it had some body work. I'm not sure, but the headlights don't look flush and the area of the front bumper where the fogs would be is painted silver when it should be black. But satin silver ftw!

*edit*
also in the one interior pic it looks like the car is idling real high?

nyknick1015

Reaction score

seems a bit high but its OK... not a great deal... but as ken said... no more than 7

cirsurvive711

Reaction score

Car is not even running in that pic! :eusa_doh:

nooo this pic:

467_jhfgjsrgujjkhyrtgef018.jpg

Back