CEL and oil burning problem

ahtc

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was driving today and my check engine light came on. I took the car to autozone and had them run the codes: just one, P0420, which I was told meant it's either an O2 sensor or catalytic converter (hopefully not the latter.)

Later I go to check the oil and it's just below the low mark. I got an oil change about two weeks ago and the car doesn't leak, so I figure the engine's burning (a lot) of oil. I put a quart of 5W30 in it. I haven't noticed any smoking or performance issues. I've read that a motor that burns oil can cause sensors to fail, so i have a feeling the issues are connected.

I'm taking the car into my mechanic tomorrow morning. I bought the car used with just about 200k miles on it because I don't have a lot of cash to drop on a car right now, and I haven't had any issues with it since I got it. It's a 2000 LX 5speed 2.3L.

Any advice? thanks in advance!

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
I feel like the compression will be okay. It's the oil rings that tend to fail is what I gather. But overall, it could be your issue. Your mechanic will probably test the cat with an IR thermometer which should tell the story.

Sino

Reaction score
3 usual culprits of oil consumption: PCV, oil control piston ring, or valve stem seals.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

TedMicer

Reaction score
Sorry to bump a oil post but I got good compressions I did a Wet & Dry Test I got 160 across all 4 but I changed my valve cover and spark plug but I realized the tip on the plug is wet is that the valve stem seals cause me to burn oil

TedMicer

Reaction score
I noticed if I pop vtec a cloud of smoke comes out or if I drive the car with out letting it warm up it smokes a lil bit

Back