Timing Belt Broke

604ACCORD

Reaction score
I don't know yet I'm not done but lots of peeps here have done it, someone can help ya out. I got my motor and 5spd trans for 800 with 90 000km on it.

ajdula93

Reaction score
I don't know yet I'm not done but lots of peeps here have done it, someone can help ya out. I got my motor and 5spd trans for 800 with 90 000km on it.
Ok well that's not to bad will that h22 pass inspection?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ajdula93

Reaction score
Can anyone refer me to a page on here for me to get all the parts that I need to do a cylinder head install? Want to order new head and take old one off. Just don't know what I need

Connie

Reaction score
If I were you, I would just get a low mileage scrapyard motor. I bet you can find one for less than 500 in a u pull it.

V6 engines with low miles are in the classifieds here all the time for less than 750 bucks. The F23 should be even easier to find an cheaper than the J30.

I paid $700 a few years back for a 45,000km J30 that still had all of the accessories on it and came with a transmission to boot.

I bet you can get this done for under a grand if you do the work yourself and can find a decent used engine.

ajdula93

Reaction score
If I were you, I would just get a low mileage scrapyard motor. I bet you can find one for less than 500 in a u pull it.

V6 engines with low miles are in the classifieds here all the time for less than 750 bucks. The F23 should be even easier to find an cheaper than the J30.

I paid $700 a few years back for a 45,000km J30 that still had all of the accessories on it and came with a transmission to boot.

I bet you can get this done for under a grand if you do the work yourself and can find a decent used engine.
If I pull a f23a4 out will it work with my f23a4 ecu and everything else?

Last edited:

ajdula93

Reaction score
What do I need for the replacement head?

Connie

Reaction score
What do I need for the replacement head?

More time, parts, and money than a decent used engine(that if bought from a reutable recycler will have 90 days of warranty, sometimes 120).

If you decide to replace the head:

You'll have to check the block for warpage, pistons for damage.

If the block is warped out of tolerance you're going to have to pull it out and take it to get machined anyway, and that won't be free.

You will need a gasket set. Probably a hundred or so.

You will need a good head, might be able to junkyard that for a hundred or two. A new one from Honda will be more than your car is worth.

The motor is going to be apart, so you might as well do the water pump with the timing belt. If it BROKE, it's due anyways. Few hundred there.

If the belt broke, there might be a problem with the pulleys your timing belt rides on. Something to keep in mind.

You will need new head bolts, as they are only meant to be used once (they stretch a little if you reuse them, and you will have a higher chance of future head gasket issues if the bolts are re-used. ) Probably 40-50 bucks.

At least another hundred for new honda blue, and oil, and filter. And should be doing the thermostat at this point too.

If you have some time on your hands you MIGHT be able to do it for under $1000. Probably another 1-2 thousand in labor if you're farming it out.

When a timing belt breaks on an interference engine like we have, especially if it is running when it happens (as is usually the case), it messes crap up. I picked up a Hyundai Accent for parts once and it had broken a timing belt on the freeway. When I pulled the head off of that car, one of the exhaust valves had snapped off and welded itself upside-down into the combustion chamber on the aluminum head. Another on a different cylinder was missing, and the piston in that cylinder had a hole punched clean through the top of it. It was amazing, but also utterly destroyed.

I'm telling you man, can of worms.....used engine is your best bet IMO but I dunno what your situation is.

Have you got the head off yet?

It's much less labor intensive to just replace the engine. Maybe $600 or so in labor if you're paying someone. I did mine in less than 2 days outside in the rain, and it's a V6 which is more complicated than the I-4 you have. And I'm no mechanic. The only special tool you might need is a big socket for the axle nuts and an engine crane with some chain.

ajdula93

Reaction score
More time, parts, and money than a decent used engine(that if bought from a reutable recycler will have 90 days of warranty, sometimes 120).

If you decide to replace the head:

You'll have to check the block for warpage, pistons for damage.

If the block is warped out of tolerance you're going to have to pull it out and take it to get machined anyway, and that won't be free.

You will need a gasket set. Probably a hundred or so.

You will need a good head, might be able to junkyard that for a hundred or two. A new one from Honda will be more than your car is worth.

The motor is going to be apart, so you might as well do the water pump with the timing belt. If it BROKE, it's due anyways. Few hundred there.

If the belt broke, there might be a problem with the pulleys your timing belt rides on. Something to keep in mind.

You will need new head bolts, as they are only meant to be used once (they stretch a little if you reuse them, and you will have a higher chance of future head gasket issues if the bolts are re-used. ) Probably 40-50 bucks.

At least another hundred for new honda blue, and oil, and filter. And should be doing the thermostat at this point too.

If you have some time on your hands you MIGHT be able to do it for under $1000. Probably another 1-2 thousand in labor if you're farming it out.

When a timing belt breaks on an interference engine like we have, especially if it is running when it happens (as is usually the case), it messes crap up. I picked up a Hyundai Accent for parts once and it had broken a timing belt on the freeway. When I pulled the head off of that car, one of the exhaust valves had snapped off and welded itself upside-down into the combustion chamber on the aluminum head. Another on a different cylinder was missing, and the piston in that cylinder had a hole punched clean through the top of it. It was amazing, but also utterly destroyed.

I'm telling you man, can of worms.....used engine is your best bet IMO but I dunno what your situation is.

Have you got the head off yet?

It's much less labor intensive to just replace the engine. Maybe $600 or so in labor if you're paying someone. I did mine in less than 2 days outside in the rain, and it's a V6 which is more complicated than the I-4 you have. And I'm no mechanic. The only special tool you might need is a big socket for the axle nuts and an engine crane with some chain.
Ok thanks for all the help I will be keeping this post updated to let you and everyone else know which route I chose to take. Probably going to do a motor replacement. Is there a good motor to replace that will fit directly in with more power or should I do the same motor(f23a4)?

Connie

Reaction score
Ok thanks for all the help I will be keeping this post updated to let you and everyone else know which route I chose to take. Probably going to do a motor replacement. Is there a good motor to replace that will fit directly in with more power or should I do the same motor(f23a4)?

The simplest thing to do is going to be to replace the motor with the same one that was in there originally.

Not only will there be no surprises; but in future if something happens you won't be dealing with a frankenstein with different parts from different years, models, etc.

Making more power via engine swap here would probably mean h22a swap ($$$$$), no other versions of the f23 are going to be worth swapping in. It's just not going to make much difference. And it IS going to cause you future troubleshooting issues as problems inevitably arise.

Keep it simple.

Back