Air smells like s***

datechboss101

Reaction score
So basically after I installed the HCU and been using the A/C and recirculation mode, the air from the HVAC is starting to smell like ****, and the air freshener aint helping either. I have an OCD issue when it comes to cleanliness of vehicles, so all the cars are cleaned every week. However, I am scratching my head on where this issue could possibly be coming from. I am pretty sure that my exhaust ain't leaking nor my fuel line and pump.

The smell I'm getting is somewhere around the lines of CO2 or CO... I just can't tell.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
when was the last time you replaced the cabin filters? they're probably due since it smells like crap when you turn it on.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
A company call bg makes a product called frigi-fresh. We use this at work along with alot of their products. Use this and it will clean the mildew buildup in the a/c system. I had this problem when i first bought my accord. Dont use air fresheners they only mask the smell. I know here in denver you can get it at auto parts stores or the dealership. Go to bg website and you can search where to get it near you. Hope this helps.

Edit: if you use it it says to spray it thru the outside air induction vent for the a/c basically the vent looking part of the wiper cowl with a/c on full blast and in mode drawing outside air, do this but also spray it into every vent on the inside before turning the air on.

If this dont help than the problem may be a clogged evap drain hose and water ia building up becoming stagnant in the system. You might want to run the a/c first and make sure the evap. Is draining aka water dripping underneath the car.

Last edited:

datechboss101

Reaction score
A company call bg makes a product called frigi-fresh. We use this at work along with alot of their products. Use this and it will clean the mildew buildup in the a/c system. I had this problem when i first bought my accord. Dont use air fresheners they only mask the smell. I know here in denver you can get it at auto parts stores or the dealership. Go to bg website and you can search where to get it near you. Hope this helps.

Edit: if you use it it says to spray it thru the outside air induction vent for the a/c basically the vent looking part of the wiper cowl with a/c on full blast and in mode drawing outside air, do this but also spray it into every vent on the inside before turning the air on.

If this dont help than the problem may be a clogged evap drain hose and water ia building up becoming stagnant in the system. You might want to run the a/c first and make sure the evap. Is draining aka water dripping underneath the car.

I might grab a can down in Jupiter, once I go down to Miami for orientation for university. I have to park my car in another spot to see if it is draining water, as my usual spot is covered from oils from the axle seal not being able to stop the leaks.

datechboss101

Reaction score
Update: 8 days after my first post, I am getting the mild dew smell from the A/C, even when I have the dial turned to warm.... Would it be how I placed the cabin air filter in?

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Update: 8 days after my first post, I am getting the mild dew smell from the A/C, even when I have the dial turned to warm.... Would it be how I placed the cabin air filter in?
If you're getting a "mildew" smell, then you've got stagnate water holding somewhere in the dash ductwork, or a plugged drain.

Back