Sporatic Idle after cleaning intake from EGR

Lee49645

Reaction score
Hey guys long time lurker,

I recently had an EGR issue with flow restriction. Looked it up and found several DIYs on how to clean the clogged up ports inside the intake manifold and etc.

Now that i put the parts back to together including a new throttle gasket, the idle is going up and down between 1k and 3k rpm and doesnt seem to stop.

is that what people call idle surging? im not sure what to do now. please help.

EDIT: i reread my post and it is lacking in a lot of detail.

Original CEL code is P0401.

I took off the battery then the intake and throttle body assembly with the IAVC still attached except for electrical plugs and one tube with a pincher. The throttle body gasket was extremely old and worn, so i scraped it off nice n clean and bought a new one (FelPro brand).
Next I took the intake manifold off and cleaned the EGR ports. after that I saw the inside of the throttle body was also really gunky and dirty so I only sprayed the manifold side and wiped it clean.
Reassembled everything in reverse order along with the new throttle body gasket and plugged the battery back in.
Started the car and it idled around 1.5k for about a whole minute then it kept jumping from 1k to 2k non stop. I tried driving around for a few min, maybe to kill the fumes or have the ECU relearn everything but its still jumps up and down when in neutral or Park. When in gear it stays steady at around 1.2k and feels like the engine trying to push forward. There is no CEL or any indication that the car has a code.

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. I'm assuming you have the V6 because the 4 cylinders don't tend to have these issues. My 4 cyl had little buildup when I went to clean it up as preventative maintenance. Check all hoses that you removed and make sure everything was reinstalled.

Lee49645

Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys, i just got the issue fixed the other day and I forgot to report back here.

turns it was a vacuum leak and all I had to do was get a new gasket for the manifold.

the IACV was also a little faulty because when i fixed the vacuum leak I had the surging after the car warmed up vs immediately surging when it turned over. Tapped the IACV with the handle of my screwdriver a couple of times and no more surging after that.

mods please lock or move where ever you see fit. Thank you everyone for helping me.

Tyler555

Reaction score
Cleaning IACV only lasts so long. (~3mos for me) Replaced mine after surging idle 1k to 3k after warm up. Side note: O'Reillys is one of the only ones with the gaskets for the throttle body in stock. (V6)

Back