How to use Seafoam

SouthStar019

Reaction score
i sea form my car yearly. i keep it in there for about 15 mins. i notice a good return in MPG and motor runs a lot smoother. you don't want to keep it in there to long tho. it will harden up the carbon deposits up again defeating the purpose of sea foaming. what i do is get 2 bottles. put 2/3 of 1 bottle in the gas tank alone, the rest of the remaining in the with the oil and some more from the other bottle. drive around for a coupe days. no more then 500 miles tho. and i feed 1/3 of it through the pcv. let it do its thing and let it run for a while and then rev it. once the smoke is all cleared up i do an oil change and after that i go fill up again.

99F23VTech

Reaction score
I have never used seafoam but i have used a product by gumount their Fuel Injection Cleaning system... comes with 2 bottles one for the fuel tank, and the otehr is put in through the brake booster on alot of cars or the PCV hose on others....

I assume it does the same thing yes???

madmech_79

Reaction score
Ive never used it myself but if your clearing carbon the smoke should be black. Im sure it cleans some tarnish out of the intake but I dont think it will do much more than that.

AFAccord

Reaction score
Yeah, i don't understand why people say it was burning off a lot of carbon when it smokes more. The white smoke isn't from carbon deposits, it's from the solvents in the petrol.

mraw112

Reaction score
If i was changing my head gasket, and the head was full of crap, then i might get it hot takned, but no one is going to rip apart their engine just to clean it. I think sea foam does some cleaning, but not that much. Ive tried cleaning a spare cylinder head before, and getting the carbon took a crap load of time with simple green, baking soda, a nylon brush on the dremel. and that was after tanking it for 14 hours in simple green. so i dont think sea foam can get all the crap off at once. i think its minimal, and its all the loose carbon hanging out there.

5spd'r

Reaction score
My '78 Datsun used to get loaded up with carbon deposits 'cause it ran way too rich, I would pour water down the carb to "steam clean" the engine. Worked really well, no cat to clog though so I'm not sure about using that method on our cars unless the cat is off/hollowed,etc. Sea Foam is supposed to clean the cat as well, according to the can.

coupe2000

Reaction score
always noticed my car runs alot better after a 600 to 800 mile none stop drive at 80 to 100 mph not recomended for evryone but it works.

that1redacc0rd

Reaction score
so i did mine the other day through the motor oil and that vacuum piece..changed my oil...and now my check engine light is on..i also did change my radiator that day, but idk if thats the problem, because we changed my friends the day before and his light didnt come on..someone said i might have to replace the o2 sensor?

Back