DIY Paint Job on the Cheap! *UPDATED 3/3*

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Re: DIY Color Change Paint Job/Repaint on the Cheap!

Don't ya just love all the haters that were talkin **** earlier :D Now that the OP has great pics to back him, I don't think there will be anymore **** talkin haha.

djmerkone

Reaction score

Is that pic after buffing and wax? Cause that looks really good, nice work man.
Nope... just wet sanded with 2000 grit. The clear would've brought out the color a bit more.

In for complete car pictures.Looks nice for the small spots your showing..Impressive thus far.
Good work. But really only 50$ on like 20 cans of spray? each can is like 10$?
haha... 2 8oz cans gave me the rear quarter panel, side skirt and rear door. i was surprised that it did that well and thats 2 coats... also did the jambs too. Good coverage for whole car, and under hood and trunk, minus engine bay would be 15 cans roughly. id probably get the same in clear. i know it eventually wont run cheap... but this is the best you will get using the best rattle cans... per se. and this is something you can do one part at a time. you dont need to rush and do the whole car all at once. im not :jae:

djmerkone

Reaction score

Don't ya just love all the haters that were talkin **** earlier :D Now that the OP has great pics to back him, I don't think there will be anymore **** talkin haha.

The battle isnt quite over yet... but people will always be people. Im just really glad that i have alot of support on this from home. so the hate doesnt really faze me. it just shows how much people really dont know.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score

is that just duplicolor paint? or the actual "color match" paint they sell?
wish they sold the color for my girls civic so i can respray her bumper for like 20$..hahaha

djmerkone

Reaction score

is that just duplicolor paint? or the actual "color match" paint they sell?
wish they sold the color for my girls civic so i can respray her bumper for like 20$..hahaha

it looks like this:
99985055_dpl_bgm0522_pri_detl.jpg

turboaccord98

Reaction score

Don't ya just love all the haters that were talkin **** earlier Now that the OP has great pics to back him, I don't think there will be anymore **** talkin haha.

^Love it.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score

It looks good for a rattle can job. I personally wouldn't have done it but it's your car and at least it's not a primer job. I don't know if it was already covered but what was wrong with the paint that was already on the car?

djmerkone

Reaction score

It looks good for a rattle can job. I personally wouldn't have done it but it's your car and at least it's not a primer job. I don't know if it was already covered but what was wrong with the paint that was already on the car?

There was alot of dents, peeled and faded clear, so I wanted to get it redone. Also the color change came about because I have two black cars. And there are way too many black cg accords in town.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

There truely is no point in critisizing something with out knowing the results.

i think we are getting ahead of ourselves

pics, than judge

Completely Agree.

:smash:

The pics you have showed so far are great dude, can't wait to see the completed project!

Next mission would be to use enough clearcoat so that it doesn't fade and lasts for years on end! How many times are you planning to clearcoat the entire car to achieve this effect?

djmerkone

Reaction score

Completely Agree.

:smash:

The pics you have showed so far are great dude, can't wait to see the completed project!

Next mission would be to use enough clearcoat so that it doesn't fade and lasts for years on end! How many times are you planning to clearcoat the entire car to achieve this effect?

Thanks for the compliment. Well, I tried doing the buff and polish method, treating it as a single stage, and i was rather surprised on the "satin" metallic finish i achieved... however, it doesnt quite do it there. In terms of the clear, im sure it would maybe take 3 or 4 good coats to make this durable. The real key though, is in the prep, to make sure you dont get your original primer layer chipping or cracking, and then keeping the clear coat well maintained, when its all said and done. Wetsanding the final coat of clear, along with a really good polish and wax will make it more durrable, and i would say, it wouldnt hurt to keep doing that last bit 1 to 2 times a year.

Back